Insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Kryptons thread on joining the ctc for the insurance gave me a thought,just wondered what would happen if i had an accident and damaged a car,and didnt have any insurance?

rikki

Legendary Member
col said:
...what would happen if i ..... damaged a car,and didnt have any insurance?

You could be sued. You could lose everything, depending on how much the damage bill is and how much the legal process costs.

A worse consequence of an accident. You damage a person. They need millions for rehabilitation and/or a lifetime of care. You will lose everything if you are even partly responsible.

*Please* get third party insurance (personal and property), for you and your family, while riding your bike(s).

A family membership with CTC or your local equivalent will usually include appropriate cover.

Or move to New Zealand where they have universal insurance. Though this still doesn't cover damage to other people's property.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Thanks rikki,its not something i thought about all this time.But it seems third party is really important to have,ill look into it,thanks.

chris42

I think if you have buildings insurance it sometimes has personal liabilty cover included and I think this can be used outside the house on certain conditions?
Could be wrong.

bonj2

But it does mean that the best thing to do if you have an accident and you don't have third party insurance is to basically leg it.

pzycoman

rikki said:
A worse consequence of an accident. You damage a person. They need millions for rehabilitation and/or a lifetime of care. You will lose everything if you are even partly responsible.

2 years ago a car tried to hug me while I was doing 30mph downhill, and that hurt. The woman got prosecuted by the police, appelead, but was found guilty again. She tried sueing me for "Mental anguish" and "traumatic experience" in court and when she looked at my broken bleeding body on the road. She was claiming for £500k, since she "cant drive near bicycles anymore". Nothing todo with the fact that she didnt have a driving license, road tax or insurance, or MOT for her car.

A highcourt injunction told her to shove it where the sun dont shine ;)

chris42

pzycoman;42198][quote name= said:

2 years ago a car tried to hug me while I was doing 30mph downhill, and that hurt. The woman got prosecuted by the police, appelead, but was found guilty again. She tried sueing me for "Mental anguish" and "traumatic experience" in court and when she looked at my broken bleeding body on the road. She was claiming for £500k, since she "cant drive near bicycles anymore". Nothing todo with the fact that she didnt have a driving license, road tax or insurance, or MOT for her car.

A highcourt injunction told her to shove it where the sun dont shine :sad:[/QUOTE]

Wow!
£500k she must have been a real hi class ho! ;)

col said:
what would happen if i had an accident and damaged a car,and didnt have any insurance?

You would run, as fast as your legs could carry you.

On a serious note I've never had to use it but having the CTC insurance gives me a little peice of mind in this compensation culture we live in. I don't know where you stand on the insurance front if you hurt someone whilst riding illegally (on the footpath etc).

pzycoman

Ghost Donkey;42316][quote name= said:
what would happen if i had an accident and damaged a car,and didnt have any insurance?

You would run, as fast as your legs could carry you.

On a serious note I've never had to use it but having the CTC insurance gives me a little peice of mind in this compensation culture we live in. I don't know where you stand on the insurance front if you hurt someone whilst riding illegally (on the footpath etc).[/QUOTE]

Id use my bike to escape, would be silly to run away carrying / wheeling the bike with you :ohmy:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
chris42 said:
I think if you have buildings insurance it sometimes has personal liabilty cover included and I think this can be used outside the house on certain conditions?
Could be wrong.

Thanks Chris,ill check that out too,again,something that didnt cross my mind:blush:

I think Chris is correct, your buildings ins may cover the risk, so may your employees liability if you are commuting and an annual travel policy almost certainly will provide cover.

The potential hazard is large (millions) but the risk is small (not many cyclist are done). As well as CTC there is a growing number of private firms offering cover, cycleguard, zurich.

You pays your money and takes your chance, or not.

Some big companies are deciding if you should worry about this enough about this or not to pay £100 a year.

Imagine if Direct Line started running tv ads saying " do you know how irrisponsible you are being an un insured cyclist"??

Before you know it they have replaced the bank charges money with some cycle premiums!!

and those who dont insure are letting everyone down. Shame on you!!

Top Bottom