Insuring Your Bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I have third party cover via British Cycling, but having just ordered a £1200 road bike (which isn't covered on my contents policy) I'm looking for some advice on cycle specific policies, in case of theft.

I won't be letting the bike out of my sight in public, but when I'm not riding it, it'll be stored in my garage, which is separate from my house.

Any recommendations?

Mine's covered Third Party Fire and Theft cos I figured nobody would nick a bike that's on fire.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Protect your bubble, they are the only company which will cover me.

http://protectyourbubble.com/uk/bicycle-insurance/

Woah! Their prices are almost too good to be true. They've quoted me £2.19 per month, whereas Cycleguard wanted £100 a year even with a BC discount. I'll give them a call to check whether my garage is covered (it's complicated) but all being well that's a result.

There's a pint with your name on it if you're ever in Newcastle!

boybiker

Guru
Woah! Their prices are almost too good to be true. They've quoted me £2.19 per month, whereas Cycleguard wanted £100 a year even with a BC discount. I'll give them a call to check whether my garage is covered (it's complicated) but all being well that's a result.

There's a pint with your name on it if you're ever in Newcastle!

They are cheap for a reason. Look at the reviews on the internet before buying is all I will say!

Reactions: srw
OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
They are cheap for a reason. Look at the reviews on the internet before buying is all I will say!

Jesus.

Just had a search.

There's a site with loads of positive reviews, by people who haven't had to make a claim. Anyone who has had to make a claim with them seems massively hacked off.

boybiker

Guru
Jesus.

Just had a search.

I nearly made the same mistake and come to the conclusion a bike specific insurer would be better. You get what you pay for sometimes. :smile:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I notice that insurers want proof of ownership in the form of a receipt. What do you do if you didn't buy your bike in one piece but sort of grew it organically from decent parts you gathered together here and there. And second hand. I've built up a bike from a Raleigh 531 frame and Shimano 105 bits group. The frame is 15 years old and the bits are about 10 years old so how would I even value it let alone prove to the insurance company it was worth that.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I notice that insurers want proof of ownership in the form of a receipt. What do you do if you didn't buy your bike in one piece but sort of grew it organically from decent parts you gathered together here and there. And second hand. I've built up a bike from a Raleigh 531 frame and Shimano 105 bits group. The frame is 15 years old and the bits are about 10 years old so how would I even value it let alone prove to the insurance company it was worth that.

Tricky one that.

I imagine that a cycling-specific insurer would be able to give you a value based on your description. With regards to proof of ownership, when I was burgled a few years ago, photographs of the stolen items were deemed sufficient for items I didn't have receipts for.

Top Bottom