Interested in your thoughts??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
For a pre-determined, actual something: maybe.

For the "very real chance" of, for example, a weekend in Disneyworld Paris or all-you-can-eat at Pizza Hut, I wouldn't wash on a daily basis.

Big man, pizza hut buffet is only 6 or £7, a weekend in Disneyworld Paris worth a lot more...if this idea sees the light of day and you ruin it for everyone having offered to award us a trip to pizza hut then I hope you'll be satisfied :tongue:

swampyseifer

How would you ensure that people who are agreeing to wear it, are going around wearing it?

I wouldnt,btw...the company I would be advertising for would be making far more out of people wearing it than the cost of the winners getting prizes. they have to or it wouldnt be a viable for the business

caimg

Über Member
How would you ensure that people who are agreeing to wear it, are going around wearing it?

I wouldnt,btw...the company I would be advertising for would be making far more out of people wearing it than the cost of the winners getting prizes. they have to or it wouldnt be a viable for the business

That first point is a good one! Can't really police it. Unless, they stipulate that a photo must be taken of you out and about on your bike wearing it. Of course, that can still be worked-around but at a little more inconvenience.

I'd do it - like someone else said though, if the top is attractive and does what a cycling jersey should do. And +1 to not if it's tampax.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
obviously not everyone wearing the kit could win, so what is the requirements to win and how are the winners selected?
Will it be a raffle or ballot and can a person win more than once, does the frequency of wearing the item increase or decrease the opportunity to win?

WilliamNB

In a world where we get fleeced on a daily basis by large corporations, a world where people are duped into believing that "brands" equal status, I resolutely refuse to wear logos, unless I'm a) doing charity work, which happens frequently, or b) being paid for it.

The business model of "win something if you wear it" makes no sense. With cars, many competitions have been run along the lines of "put this bumper sticker on your car, and IF you get spotted, we'll read out your number plate on the radio, after which you have to phone us to claim your prize".
Bicycles, to point out the obvious, don't have number plates, so even if you run the contest on a "if you get spotted wearing this", how would you resolve that glimpse of a cyclist to an identifiable person? (If you DO have a workable method to do so, I suggest you contact the Daily Fail, who is forever ranting about how we need number plates!)
Even if you can get a reliable method to solve this conundrum, without getting strung up by cyclists for causing them to lose their anonymity, such competitions typically favour those in large, densely populated areas, such as London, Manchester or Birmingham, at the exclusion of smaller cities and towns, with those in completely rural areas standing no chance at all.

In view of the above, no, I don't think I'd be interested in your competition idea. I also don't believe most others will be interested, outside of the getting-a-free-cycling-top factor.

NeoCaesar

I would but it would be a trade off on:
1) How good the top was.
2) What the advertisement was.
3) And the likeliness of winning/quality of prizes.

Many variables. I would probably wear a low quality top if the chance I won a trip to the Maldives were quite high. Conversely, I might wear a good quality top if I agreed with the advert if the chances of winning a bottle of bubbly were quite low...

caimg

Über Member
Don't most folk wear logos on a daily basis anyway?

Exactly. The 'ethical / principle' argument is pretty moot I reckon.

novanino

I definitely wouldn't do it. Even paid by the mile as mr_hippo suggested I'd have to be really skint to even consider it. I find the idea a bit disgusting to be honest...erk!

novanino

Exactly. The 'ethical / principle' argument is pretty moot I reckon.

Hmm, I can't think of a single logo which I wear on a daily basis. Or at all. Even the bigger logos on my bike are covered in black tape to make it less attractive to thieves.
Even if you do wear stuff with logos on it, it might be because it's practical and you can't be bothered to cover it up. It's easily possible to object to doing as the OP suggests on principle even if you do - it's not like by choosing to wear one logo you lose the right to an opinion on adding any further to your attire.
Have to say that's one of the dumbest arguments I've heard in a while - well, since I last got sucked in to reading the comments on a news website....:rolleyes:

caimg

Über Member
Hmm, I can't think of a single logo which I wear on a daily basis. Or at all. Even the bigger logos on my bike are covered in black tape to make it less attractive to thieves.
Even if you do wear stuff with logos on it, it might be because it's practical and you can't be bothered to cover it up. It's easily possible to object to doing as the OP suggests on principle even if you do - it's not like by choosing to wear one logo you lose the right to an opinion on adding any further to your attire.
Have to say that's one of the dumbest arguments I've heard in a while - well, since I last got sucked in to reading the comments on a news website....:rolleyes:

I get that - but on most clothes people wear there are logos. Nike, Adidas or a design that's recognisable to a manufacturer etc etc. Even if there's no logo, someone could look at a piece of clothing and spot who made it. Today, I wore a cycling top I got from Lidl when I went out. Some people may have spotted the logo for the Crivit brand and thought I was bigging up Lidl. Not at all - I like the top, and am not offended by possibly advertising the company to anyone who may look at me...

novanino

I get that - but on most clothes people wear there are logos. Nike, Adidas or a design that's recognisable to a manufacturer etc etc.

This is subjective depending on who you hang out with, where you go, what you do. I don't hang out with people who wear clothes with visible logos. Most people I know if they did acquire a garment with a logo visible on it would either remove it or cover it with a patch. I don't believe that the majority of people wear branded clothes made by big names. Probably has something to do with which part of which city you're living in. People below a certain income bracket wouldn't afford them and people from all income levels might have reasons not to be seen dead in them :becool:

Personally, I do mind if I am advertising the company by wearing it's wares. So I avoid buying things with obvious logos on and usually remove them if I do land up with one. The differences in our approaches are probably useful to know about for the OP eh :smile:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hello fellow cyclist

I have a question which I would like your views on please.

If you were asked to wear a top with a logo on, every time you rode your bike, but you had the very real chance of winning prizes, from a free lunch, bike service to a holiday, would it be something that you would take part in??

All thoughts welcome

Best R

Yes I would wear anything if given the chance to win a prize. As long as the logo was not offensive

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I'd commute wearing a decent quality cycle jersey with some sensible branding on it, every day, for free. Sod winning things, just save me money on cycling kit, thats winning to me.

Top Bottom