Interesting (alarming) police view on incidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

campbellab

There's much worse things in life that would be better to spend time on.

I'd rather someone's time was spent working with a charity than with some of this follow up of events.

Like working with people disabled in road traffic accidents? Prevention is better than cure.

D

Deleted member 1258

On the video evidence alone the pass is close but not to close, but like others I think the drivers ignorance is more concerning. The question in my mind is at what point do the police consider a pass to be close enough to warrant action?

Radchenister

Veteran
That perspective thing ... isn't it far too abstract an image to rely on any distance calc's taken off it?

Perspective_zps61393121.jpg

Radchenister

Veteran
Disclaimer - any likenesses to any pro road racers past or present are purely intentional:o).

Seriously though, watched it several times and do have trouble judging the distance, the outer edges of the lens will warp the perspective when up close as well.

Interesting timing, the RR driver floated through at the pinch point, I would likely have waited if in his vehicle with empathy for a two wheeler but it wasn't a terrible action, a little chancy, visually the car and the pinch point come together at the same time, which creates a slightly teeth grating effect ... to be fair to the driver though he treated the other traffic the same way, in terms of passing distances, even if it wasn't all that much, so I don't think he meant it personally ... he is guilty of safe in his own box mentality though.

I don't commute these days, so don't have to deal with rush hour drivers - I used to for years on a motorbike but you have far more clout on a big bike so I didn't often get anything like that ... however, defensive driving was the key and avoiding travelling side by side was always my aim; they don't really mean to be a pain most of these car drivers, they're just conditioned weirdly and are nudging through out of irresistible urges to beat the hoards through the rat race, after a few months doing the same route to the same job their brains go funny, the software gets corrupted ... and they probably had the wrong package loaded in the first place; he probably thinks a bit more about passing cyclists since this little tete-a-tete though and may have been slightly reprogrammed - I hope so anyway ^_^ .

D

Deleted member 1258

Tire marks , on your left pedal.

It was a serious question, a couple of weeks before Xmas I had a pass that close that the driver knackered their mirror on my elbow, if I could have got the cars number and reported it how seriously would the police have taken it?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I reckon I'd disagree with the posters suggesting that wasn't a close pass. That was less than 1 foot, and I'm pretty sure Roadsafe would have warned the driver for that.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lots of experience watching videos with this sort of camera and lens angle, watching key indicators such as tyre position, lanes, etc., and comparing to my own experiences which were seen both on camera and in real life. Can I prove it? Nope, but it'd be easy to show that that pass was far below the highway code standard as per the image in rule 163.

If I wanted to prove it, I'd build one of Alexwarrior's ultrasonic distance metering units, or mount a piece of piano wire.

Radchenister

Veteran
Very clever, if it could be condensed into a reliable handlebar mount with wifi link to say an iPhone and be affordable then you're in business - I'm away for a week in Normandy so I'll look forward to seeing the initial proposal on my desk a week Monday - snap to it :biggrin: .

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It was a serious question, a couple of weeks before Xmas I had a pass that close that the driver knackered their mirror on my elbow, if I could have got the cars number and reported it how seriously would the police have taken it?

That's a collision, and they are required to stop. If you could prove the collision occurred, and they didn't stop, then it should be taken seriously.

Top Bottom