Interesting and informative pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20240318-091735~2.png

Alex321

Veteran
Wrong colours. Most (probably all) of those rivers are actually brown, thanks to all the sewage issues. :sad:

Those colours are obviously not meant to be representative (very few rivers are bright blue, or purple), but not many rivers in the UK are generally brown except when in flood, and when they are it isn't usually due to sewage issues.

There certainly ARE rivers affected by sewage, and too many of them, but it is nowhere near "most" of the rivers in the UK, and rarely enough to change the colour of the river, no matter how unhealthy it might be.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Those colours are obviously not meant to be representative (very few rivers are bright blue, or purple), but not many rivers in the UK are generally brown except when in flood, and when they are it isn't usually due to sewage issues.

There certainly ARE rivers affected by sewage, and too many of them, but it is nowhere near "most" of the rivers in the UK, and rarely enough to change the colour of the river, no matter how unhealthy it might be.
You need to see the Humber, due to the silt in the water, it's never been anything but brown. It's regarded as one of the most dangerous navigation rivers in the country due to the shifting mudbanks.

Alex321

Veteran
You need to see the Humber, due to the silt in the water, it's never been anything but brown. It's regarded as one of the most dangerous navigation rivers in the country due to the shifting mudbanks.

Oh yes, there are some rivers which are always brown, particularly the larger ones, but usually due to mud & silt rather than sewage.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh yes, there are some rivers which are always brown, particularly the larger ones, but usually due to mud & silt rather than sewage.

The River Thames being a prime example.

clockworksimon

Über Member
The River Thames being a prime example.

Rather bemused by the reaction to my pic! I’m probably as much a kayaker as I am a cyclist. The coloured graphic is brilliant to reveal the watersheds and drainage basins for the main rivers. It also reminds me of images of blood circulation in the body.

clockworksimon

Über Member
But whilst on the subject of pollution, the Surfers Against Sewage app shows where there have been recent sewage spills on swimming beaches. Increasingly, inland locations are being given this designation and are visible. Here’s the latest capture for England & Wales. Red dots for spillages - imagining brown flag beaches. Yuck. When you expand the map, the worst of these show as turds.

IMG_7976.jpeg

IMG_7977.jpeg

lazybloke

Considering a new username

Having nearly lost a child to bacteria present in sewage spills, i'm a bit more angered by water pollution than the average Joe.
Some rivers look clean, then i remember all the press reports of multiple upstream spillages. Yuck.

Top Bottom