Interesting boat DVD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattonsea

Über Member
That is incredible , I like how the cranes move out as the ship pulls out from dry dock.

I can't see what the white lines were for on the hull. I thought it was going to be a masked off design that would be revealed once the top coat had been painted, but the lines were just painted over and left, any ideas?

ship.png

I can't see what the white lines were for on the hull. I thought it was going to be a masked off design that would be revealed once the top coat had been painted, but the lines were just painted over and left, any ideas?

View attachment 46187
It's a way of making the plate welds easier to find by ultrasonics for future use in repairs or inspection.

A great piece of time lapse photography, but isn't it unlucky to rename a ship?

Happens all the time, usually when it's sold on to a new owner. Ships do have to carry a synopsis of any changing of details, it's one of the first certificates any inspection will look at. If a ship is classified by the Det Norske Veritas you can have a look at some of its details - size, etc. here
Not seen welds painted like that before though.

snorri

Legendary Member
I can't see what the white lines were for on the hull........, but the lines were just painted over and left, any ideas?
It's a Non Destructive Testing( NDT) procedure carried out, usually in a shipyard, on all of the welds between the plates at intervals during the lifetime of the vessel. Magnetic particles suspended in a paint like liquid are applied to the welded joints using an aerosol spray can prior to the testing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_particle_inspection
On completion of the tests normal paint coatings can be applied.

Top Bottom