Interesting frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It looks like fishnet stockings.

Shaun

Founder
Don't take it out in the rain - there's nowt to stop the road crud flying off the front wheel, up through the perforated frame, and ending up on the underside of your chin.

Bet it rides nice though ... ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Admin said:
Don't take it out in the rain - there's nowt to stop the road crud flying off the front wheel, up through the perforated frame, and ending up on the underside of your chin.

Bet it rides nice though ... :blush:
You could make mudguards out of string

red_tom

I'd be very tempted to set about it with some tissue paper and cellulose dope.

Graham O

Mr Pig said:
, but I don't understand why it would be stronger than solid tube?

Couldn't find the part of their site with that information, but I doubt it. Assuming they mean that it is as strong as a solid tube of equal outside diameter, then also need to define "strong". In a sideways impact, it is almost certainly much weaker, although it may be elastic to small impacts.

The bird's bones analogy is not correct. Bird's bones are hollow to provide strength with lightness, but it does not make them stronger than solid tube.

Consider a square section bar with a load in the middle. The top bends down, so the top surface is in compression. The bottom surface also bends down, but is being stretched, so is in tension. Somewhere inside the bar, there is metal which is neither in compression or tension, i.e. it is doing nothing except adding weight. Get rid of this useless material and you have a box girder bridge, a bird's wing or a bike tube. Strength without weight.

Top Bottom