Interesting Information from the Police with regards to video cameras.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I was chatting to a Traffic Policeman today after giving a witness statement and he told me a couple of things that surprised me. I was questioning him about videos I have uploaded to the 'National Dash cam Safety Portal' because I had heard nothing at all, so did not even know if they had even been viewed.

1.) All the videos are viewed by a Traffic Police Officer, so my worry about up loading videos to a dash cam supplier that won't get looked at is unfounded.
2.) In the majority of cases you will hear nothing. The driver can get a 'naughty boy' letter or a Driver Awareness course and you won't necessarily find out.
3.) Only about 7% of videos result in no action against the driver and the majority of those is because they cannot trace the driver or the footage is terrible quality. It is rare that that the video does not contain evidence of poor driving that does not at least result in a letter.

The officer encouraged me to keep submitting and for me to encourage others to submit, it seems it is not the waste of time that I previously thought. Although, having said that I am not sure if their money will dry up soon or they get moved on to something else.

What are your experiences, with video evidence?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I reported some terrible driving whcih was supported with video, the registered owner was sent a warning letter. Thames Valley Police were pretty decent. I could have taken it further and it was my decision.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, TVP was my first force.

My following force, Northants, never sent warning leaders, as there was no evidence that the recipients were less likely to offend after receiving one, so was deemed a waste of resources.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ah, TVP was my first force.

My following force, Northants, never sent warning leaders, as there was no evidence that the recipients were less likely to offend after receiving one, so was deemed a waste of resources.

TVP was also my first force and then Humberside.

Many, many moons ago ^_^

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 5460825, member: 9609"]is this the "Nxtbase" thing ?
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

the only force that I tried that doesn't show the "The force you have chosen is working hard towards being fully ready to accept dash cam footage" message was North Yorks, and Scotland must not be even considering it. ?

Good idea though, would like to see it rolled out nationwide.[/QUOTE]
That's the one, it is a shame that they are not all signed up, but individual forces may have their own systems.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I wasn't aware of the National Dash cam portal and recall something in the news a little while back about the Nextbase one, but wasn't aware of it being live, so thanks.
Oddly, the link to Cheshire police takes you through to the same link I have used several times when making reports, most recently last night. However the Greater Manchester one says the force is working hard etc..., but I have many times used with success opconsiderate@gmp.police.uk

Top Bottom