Internal blower motor issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Further to an earlier thread I have replaced the motor for the car cabin fan/ac/heater.

However while the fan works on all speeds only a slight trickle of air comes out of the vents.

The old unit and new unit are different in that the fan blades are the opposite way round.
This is the old unit which has an arrow (highlighted by me in pen) which I assume shows that it spins clockwise.

The new unit is here and spins anti clockwise.

I would think if the fan blades and rotation are both reversed you would have a working unit.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Gentle bump. :whistle:.

Venod

Eh up
The vanes look opposite way round to me so I would have thought it would move the same amount of air, but its hard to tell from the pic, has the top fan got shrouded fins and the bottom open ?

Venod

Eh up
They are exactly the same, just orientated the opposite way

If the fan blades are orientated in different directions you would think by it running the other way round it would work, is it directing the air in the right direction for the air blower trunking when it exits the fan, could it be for a LH drive that may have a differnt trunking layout ?

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

If the fan blades are orientated in different directions you would think by it running the other way round it would work, is it directing the air in the right direction for the air blower trunking when it exits the fan, could it be for a LH drive that may have a differnt trunking layout ?

I get a very light flow of air from the vents. The OEM number is compatible according to the supplier and the Web.

Venod

Eh up
You could change the fan impellers over and reverse the direction of the new motor, you will have to google how to do this, but it could be just a case of swapping positive and negative wires.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

You could change the fan impellers over and reverse the direction of the new motor, you will have to google how to do this, but it could be just a case of swapping positive and negative wires.

I've thought this but if I switch polarity of the motor the fan blades would be in the wrong orientation.
I would imagine if have to replace the new fan blades with the old one if possible.

Venod

Eh up
I've thought this but if I switch polarity of the motor the fan blades would be in the wrong orientation.
I would imagine if have to replace the new fan blades with the old one if possible.

Yes that what I meant by change the impellers over.

Put the fan blades from your old motor on the new motor and reverse the new motor.

Top Bottom