Internal cable routing problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
There woudnt be plate there, as there is screw hole for the plate…..it wouldnt screw directly into the carbon from, it would have a tapped insert in there for the screw

Isn't that what the small hole top left in the photo is?

It did appear to be threaded, but possibly it had just contained a threaded insert which has gone missing along with the plate?

The shape of that indentation definitely appears to me that there should have been a plate there.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Isn't that what the small hole top left in the photo is?

It did appear to be threaded, but possibly it had just contained a threaded insert which has gone missing along with the plate?

The shape of that indentation definitely appears to me that there should have been a plate there.

It looks like a drainage hole to me, but who knows….be surprised of a threaded insert and the cabke guide all broke within a few years.

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
It looks like a drainage hole to me, but who knows….be surprised of a threaded insert and the cabke guide all broke within a few years.

It seems the "plate" is actually only held in by press fit. I just found it on the ground behind my car, where it must have fallen out as I was putting the bike on the car after pulling the old cable.

This is it

Attachments

• 20221229_115913.jpg
    20221229_115913.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221229_115920.jpg
    20221229_115920.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 8

jowwy

It seems the "plate" is actually only held in by press fit. I just found it on the ground behind my car, where it must have fallen out as I was putting the bike on the car after pulling the old cable.

This is it

Yup, press fit and cable pressure keeps it in place…….im guessing they never used a piece of clear tube to put the cable through and just let it sit there to rub away at the plastic

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
Well I got it fitted in the end, but still no joy. I now think the problem must be in the shifter after all that hassle with the cable. It just won't pull on the cable when I try to change to the big ring.

The cable pulls through easily when not attached to the mech, and the mech moves easily enough by hand, but the big lever just won't push far at all with the cable in.

Yep. Turns out it is the shifter. Broken ratchet. LBS man thinks I must have been pushing it too hard because of the clo9gged up hole the cable runs through.

With it being hydraulic disc brakes, it is an expensive shifter :sad: £167, ordered from Tredz (LBS couldn't order until Tuesday, it should arrive then from Tredz).

jowwy

Yep. Turns out it is the shifter. Broken ratchet. LBS man thinks I must have been pushing it too hard because of the clo9gged up hole the cable runs through.

With it being hydraulic disc brakes, it is an expensive shifter :sad: £167, ordered from Tredz (LBS couldn't order until Tuesday, it should arrive then from Tredz).

Couldnt get a new ratchet for it then???

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi @Alex321 , just scanned your posts and not too sure about exactly what's happening but in your OP you mentioned you were having problems changing up to the large front chainring. I recently had a very similar problem and went through the same thought processes as you ie is it the shifter, cable, etc and was getting around to thinking I needed a new shifter when I stumbled across a really easy fix which which worked for me (I've got Ultegra R8000 shifters) on youtube:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U&list=PLLDtighiMfmBeeJaSQlUZla1EPOZ2yrOt&index=3

Basically when you push the the large lever inwards it also pushes the smaller lever and both need to move inwards exactly in time, otherwise the internal ratchet system doesn't work properly ( I was getting some horrible crunching noises). If there is a gap between the two levers they don't move in time and so the ratchet doesn't work properly, the video explains this better. In my case I added a 2mm thick piece of plastic between the levers as shown in the video and it cured my problem completely. I've also applied the same fix to the right shifter for the rear mech and it has improved the shifting there as well!
I see you've already been to your LBS and you've ordered a new shifter but thought I'd post this anyway as it's really quick and easy to try, if it works you might be able to return the new shifter and save yourself a bunch of money!

OP
OP
A

Alex321

Veteran
Hi @Alex321 , just scanned your posts and not too sure about exactly what's happening but in your OP you mentioned you were having problems changing up to the large front chainring. I recently had a very similar problem and went through the same thought processes as you ie is it the shifter, cable, etc and was getting around to thinking I needed a new shifter when I stumbled across a really easy fix which which worked for me (I've got Ultegra R8000 shifters) on youtube:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U&list=PLLDtighiMfmBeeJaSQlUZla1EPOZ2yrOt&index=3

Basically when you push the the large lever inwards it also pushes the smaller lever and both need to move inwards exactly in time, otherwise the internal ratchet system doesn't work properly ( I was getting some horrible crunching noises). If there is a gap between the two levers they don't move in time and so the ratchet doesn't work properly, the video explains this better. In my case I added a 2mm thick piece of plastic between the levers as shown in the video and it cured my problem completely. I've also applied the same fix to the right shifter for the rear mech and it has improved the shifting there as well!
I see you've already been to your LBS and you've ordered a new shifter but thought I'd post this anyway as it's really quick and easy to try, if it works you might be able to return the new shifter and save yourself a bunch of money!

My symptom wasn't a noise, but just the shifter being very difficult to push at all. It is definitely something broken inside the shifter.

I haven't looked at it since Simon told me what the issue was, but I see no reason to disbelieve him. He seems to run that bike shop as much as a hobby as a business, and always tries hard not to charge too much.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've only mentioned it as your symptoms are very similar to the problem I had and it is very easy and quick to check, but it's your choice at the end of the day.

Top Bottom