internal cables- no routing? how to replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fairy

been at this for hours now - like threading a needle in the dark with one hand. a lovely lovely klein frame I thought I'd bring back to life - but the gear and brake cables are supposed to go inside the frame, however you appear to have to just poke it in the hole at one end and hope for the best.

any one got any ideas??????????;)

longers

Legendary Member
Sounds like one of those problems you'll be very happy when you've solved.

Tie a loop in a piece of wire and push through one hole and push as close to second hole as guessable. Make a small hook shape with another piece of wire and try to catch first loop. Attach cable to end of first bit of wire. ( Not sure how - sticky tape?)

Swear loudly when it pulls free, repeat and try again tomorrow when you'll get it right first time.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
get an old bit of cable and poke a loop of this through a hole at one end of the toptube. Feed another cable in the other end of the toptube, until it has passed the other hole, and hopefully through the loop you fed into the tube. pull loop through.

If your holes ain't big enough for normal brake/gear cable, use fishing line

squeaker

Über Member
Establish a connection between the 2 holes using a small weight, a very light line, gravity, shaking (and probably swearing). Once you have the connection, gradually increase the line size untill you can reliably pull a cable outer through. Have fun :ohmy:

OP
OP
fairy

fairy

had a brainstorm at lunchtime and finally solved it using a steady hand, a strong magnet and some ingeneuity.

my what a good idea using steel cables though an alu frame. sometimes I even surprise my self with my utter genious.

frog

had a brainstorm at lunchtime and finally solved it using a steady hand, a strong magnet and some ingeneuity.

That is so damn clever!!! :biggrin: I also thought about the two above with the loop of wire and dangling a weight so I'd be no use to you at all after that :ohmy:

Have a slice of virtual cake in reward :biggrin:

OP
OP
fairy

fairy

thanks frog :-)

OP
OP
fairy

fairy

nope skwerl - cos they are internal there's no need, they'll be all cosy and pretected inside ;-)

The accepted method of routing cables through a frame is this; Remove old inner cable, insert new inner, remove old outer (leaving new inner in place), finally thread new outer through the frame using inner cable as guide.

Some frames, including older Kliens, dont use outer cable inside the frame. The holes incorporate cable stops. Often the cable stops are connected by a thin tube allowing a straightforward install. If not, the frame designer was clearly an eejit.

Top Bottom