Internal cables rattling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
They must pretty loose to rattle.

On one of my bikes there are tiny rubber donuts on the exposed cables to stop them rattling against the frame, at least that's the only thing i can think they're for. Ask a lbs if they have any.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
One of my clubmates just bought an exopensive Bianchi where the internal cables rattle and it's seruiously pi55ing him off to the point he can't bear riding the thing (and he has a fair fleet of decent bikes).
Have to say I find a lot of Carbon and modern bikes quite clattery on the road, would pee me off too.

I've no idea how to solve the cable problem. It's just not been thought through.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On one of my bikes there are tiny rubber donuts on the exposed cables to stop them rattling against the frame, at least that's the only thing i can think they're for. Ask a lbs if they have any.
This is where the whole cable runs inside the frame tubes so you can't get to them ...

This is where the whole cable runs inside the frame tubes so you can't get to them ...
Oh yeah, didn't think of that. i'm going to call the nurse i think.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Or, maybe the cable housing inside the frame is too long and is flexing.
It really should be cut as exact as possible between frame entry and exit points. A little too short can be ok, but not too long.
It maybe possible this has occurred during the new build as you say it's a new bike.
I have replaced a couple of my internal cables in the past and noises haven't been an issue afterwards.
Hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
Louise Harley

Louise Harley

Or, maybe the cable housing inside the frame is too long and is flexing.
It really should be cut as exact as possible between frame entry and exit points. A little too short can be ok, but not too long.
It maybe possible this has occurred during the new build as you say it's a new bike.
I have replaced a couple of my internal cables in the past and noises haven't been an issue afterwards.
Hope you get it sorted.
thank you will see what I can do

Top Bottom