Internal concrete step

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 11 Jul 2018 at 21:28.

Tags:
  1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

See pics. The new concrete floor in the conservatory is above the level of the floor in the house. I want to extend the step forwards so that it's in line with the internal wall. I'm thinking of pouring a concrete step which ends level with the plaster of the internal wall, then fitting a piece of skirting across the full width of the wall, dropping as it crosses the step. The conservatory solid floor will then end level with the top of the lowered skirting with a step trim across it.

Can anyone see an issue with doing this? That's if you can understand the description.

Attached Files:

2. BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin Well-Known Member

In theory no but the extended piece will crack through time (At the joint) and possibly drop a bit unless well dowelled into the existing floor. Suggest you speak to someone experienced about this and the type of mix to use.

Mister Paul likes this.
  3. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Damp proofing looks like the main concern.

4. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

I have a friendly engineer who said it would be fine, and the previous step was shoddy and lasted nearly 50 years. I'm not too fussed about it dropping or cracking as it will be beneath a solid floor and wouldn't be a hard fix. I'm more concerned about the permanence of concrete coming right to the edge of the plaster.

5. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Yeah, that's been noted. Thanks.

6. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Some expansion joint material possibly between the concrete and the plaster.

7. bluenotebob

bluenotebob Active Member

I'd chuck a cement slurry down first (cement/water mix) to make sure the concrete adheres to the old surface - that might reduce the risk of the joint cracking too.

I'm certainly no expert but it wouldn't worry me about the concrete abutting the plaster.

As mentioned above, the proportions of the mix to be used for the step is important. What height is the step ? it's hard to tell from the pix.

Looks to me like making the shuttering is the hardest part of the job - other than that (and the mix proportions), if it was me, I'd just buy what I needed and go for it.

8. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

it's about 90mm

9. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

I should do something about the DPM. Will it affect the stability of the step if I pour onto a sheet of membrane?

10. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I would hack the plaster off so the top of the concrete was just below the plaster. Plaster is often quite good at conducting damp, so if there is any damp in what you are going to lay the concrete on then it won't be able to work itself so easily into the plaster.

I take it that black material on the conservatory side is the DPM under the conservatory floor ?
    if you think where you are going to lay the screed is damp you could always clean it off and paint it with black bitumen first.

I would just form a strong bit of wood to the same height as the conservatory floor and use may be a fairly dry 4:1 sharp sand mix. should be fine if you are just going to cover with flooring. (I did one similar 20 + years ago and its still going strong)

Mister Paul likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Yup, the black is the DPM coming up from under the conservatory floor.

The plaster is already above the level of the floor so there's no risk of it touching the concrete. I've just got to fashion some shuttering to stop the concrete spreading sideways.

12. bluenotebob

bluenotebob Active Member

Good luck @Mister Paul - sounds like you've got it sorted

Mister Paul likes this.
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Don't forget to round over the edge of the concrete slightly so that the edge of the step doesn't have a sharp edge.

Mister Paul likes this.
  14. TissoT

TissoT Über Member

Some one has got there levels wrong ! (being a joiner/builder) You will be creating a step by bringing the edge to the front of the internal wall.
    In your shoes i would take up some of the conservatory floor (100mm strip or take the edge off the existing conservatory slab) to form a graduate slope which would be less of a trip hazard and look less of a mistake by having two different floor levels.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2018 at 09:52
  15. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

The step is unavoidable. The ground to the rear of the house slopes up away from the house, so this is the lowest we could get the conservatory floor without it going below ground level at the other end. And it's a concrete slab so there's no floor to slope.

The step will be fine. We tried to get rid of it but it wasn't possible, and it was there before so it's not an issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice