Internal gear hub for MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclop

Regular
These weeks I was looking for the next bike for my 9yo and didn't have much success - everything "kid" is ridiculously heavy and/or has crap components unless you pay $800+. Fortunately my wife has a habit of buying stuff that turns out too small for her so I have a Java Moka 26" MTB in frame size S here, exactly the 37cm he needs (although it's a tad long), with OK weight and components. Thing is, he just doesn't get how the 24 gears work yet, and TBH they're total overkill for what he rides anyway, 80% of which is spent on a longish but mostly flat school commute.

So my idea was to try and fit an internal gear hub such as the 8-gear Shimano Alfine on this bike. It's a regular 135mm rear hub so that should be fine. The disc brakes on the Alivio are center-lock as opposed to the 7-hole ones she has but I guess if I get a new disk, the position will be the same as the for any other brake, right? What seems most problematic at the moment are the vertical dropouts though.
This guy

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Vuy-e8EsQ
just installed a chain tensioner, so I guess I could do that, but I seem to remember seeing some conversion kit as well.
Has anyone done this yet or could advise some other things I'd need to watch out for?

Chain tensioner is the conversion kit.
I like my Alfine 8 but your son may fare just as well with a 1x8 derailleur system.

D

Deleted member 23692

I've got a alfine hub with vertical dropouts and a chain tensioner works just fine. I'd recommend getting a shimano tensioner that fits in place of an anti turn washer and they don't stick out oas far as those that fit on the mech hanger.

Brakes... you can get a centrelock to 6 bolt adaptor if that's easier for you, and the offset on an alfine is the same as any other 135mm hub bike

The only problem you might encounter is sorting out the cable run to the rear hub depending on how the frame is configured. I just pop riveted a new cable end to the chainstay.. which only cost a few £s.

I'd recommend a nexus twist grip instead of the afling trigger shifter as it'll let you shift more than one gear art a time.

Otherwise they make for bombproof low maintenance drivetrain. The only downside is dealing with punctures on the rear, but I've just put some tubeless sealant in the tube and I've not had a puncture in 3 years :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

Forgot I had a piccy of the home build...

LR Flat Side (Medium) (Small).jpg

12boy

Guru
If you have a chain tensioner and you want light and simple, have one sprocket in the rear and leave the 3 chain rings with the front derailleur. When he wants more, replace the rear derailleur and put the other sprockets back on. Tinkering is fun and you and he can do it together. He will get a good picture of how gears work and pretty soon if you ride together you won't be able to keep up.

Top Bottom