International Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Nice to see Helen Wyman and Nicky Harris getting off to a good start at the Cauberg today - 3rd and 4th. Vos was, as usual, untouchable but she's going to miss a big chunk of the season for an operation.

The Couch

Über Member
Is this the year Belgian hegemony in the men's event gets challenged?
For this season.. I don't think so yet

Van Der Haar is of the one guy every Belgian was already a couple of years aware of that he would be the biggest upcoming competitor, but I don't see him this year - on a consistent base - beating us. Last Sunday (which he superbly won), he was having a "home advantage" but more improtantly it was a quick race with lot's of short ramps... ideal for a lightweight like him and Pauwels.
Can't see him winning on other types of circuits or in other circumstances (muddy, superwet, snow)... but again he is the biggest upcoming talent, will/should be a top 5 threat every time and you need to get rid of him before the sprint, since he is lightning quick.

I am actual more "surprised" (and pretty happy) to see even more "foreign" threats popping up:
  • Bina (a big talent, many years ago when he was young) was great in Ronse, so maybe he has finally found what is needed to live up to his earlier expectations.
  • Walsleben is looking very good this year and has finally shaken off all the injuries/infections that have bugged him the last 3 years (for me, he might this year be even more consistantly in the top-5 than Van Der Haar, if he continues what he has shown so far)
These 2, together with Van Der Haar, have most chance to nick a race here and there away from the Belgians
  • Taramarcaz showed promises last year, but seems to be still looking for form this season, hopefully he can
  • Van Amerongen and Maisen could be top-5 here and there as well
  • And of course Matthieu Van Der Poel is getting everybody fidging in their seats (he absolutely should be able to overthrow the Belgian domination) although I can't see the road teams not pulling his arm in the future

That being said... for me this year Nys is still looking like the one to beat (on almost all types of track).
Pauwels (like Nys also had bad luck this weekend) should still be the favourite on the faster tracks
Van Tornout should be the (co-)favourite on the muddier tracks
Meeusen - free from last year's doping allegations - will be the one to look out for on frozen tracks
And Albert should still be the "next Nys" (although he is less technical, he is nevertheless the most all-round of the rest and is - like Nys - superstrong on sand), but he seems to be - for a mysterious reason - not in great form... but I can't see him not getting better as the season moves on.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Katie Compton imperious today at Tabor, with Vos out of the picture looks like this will be her year. Nicki Harris looking strong, and nice to see Havlikova coming up to fill the gap left by Nash.

Gonna watch the men later, so no spoilers! :tongue:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
EzVIoex.gif

The Couch

Über Member
Hmm His Svenness again not sparkling.
Van der Haar very strong.
Correct, Van der Haar was impressive again, but - again - on a "high-speed track"... man, those World Cup races don't do justice to the great sport that is cyclocross (so for me, Van der Haar surprised me more with his Sunday performance on a slightly less-suited track and as well after his exhausting Saturday performance :smile:). This actually makes him already now the top-favourite for Rome and (unless - like last year - it's going to rain cats and dogs) probably Heusden-Zolder as well. But (for the moment) I remain with my earlier made comments that I don't expect much of him on tracks like Koppenbergcross, Gavere or Essen (especially when it has been typical Belgian weather those weeks).

I guess "His Svenness" :becool: isn't going to bother a lot for the World Cup anylonger (unless the type and state of the track will be ideal for him). On Saturday he wasn't good (at all) but you can see from the Sunday result that motivation plays a big part as well.
Albert still hoping that it's going to get better "next week".

Van Der Poel... again... he's special, that one... it actually raises the question, if it would be worth (maybe at the end of the season) to give him a shot to race against the pro's?

Next up: Koppenbergcross ... let's hope for some heavy rainfall on Saturday night :biggrin:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I have been saving the Sunday race for today, thanks for the spoiler :B):cry::laugh:

Pauwels as the leading Belgian contender? He seems to be flat on his back rather a lot to be a world champ?

The Couch

Über Member
I have been saving the Sunday race for today, thanks for the spoiler :B):cry::laugh:

Pauwels as the leading Belgian contender? He seems to be flat on his back rather a lot to be a world champ?
Oops... sorry VamP :shy:... but at least I didn't explicitly say who won on Sunday, right? :hugs:
Pauwels is still the Belgian to watch on the faster/drier tracks, yes (but I don't see him easily replicating the season he had in '11-'12). World Champ?!? yeah, with the juniors and U23, he hasn't been it with the pro's though. But in his defence, he hasn't had much luck with his bike the last 2 years (and indeed on Saturday he screwed himself by falling a couple times).

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
It's fine, I didn't have time to watch so I just read the result on Velonews anyway.

I am not sure that I do have a favourite TBH this year. I am interested in the Nys/Albert battle for world domination, and I am quietly rooting for Bina to have a breakthrough season.

I suspect Van der Haar will show improvement on the heavy courses, and have a great season.

I am as interested in the women's racing, and given as they race at similar speeds to myself, find their way of dealing with technical aspects more interesting/relevant. The elite men are just on a different planet.

Top Bottom