Internet ads with weird fixations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Clearly it's time to reinstall the adblocker.

There's been a lot of talk about the males of Cyclechat being shown unwanted ads for bras, and various other items of women's apparel.
The latest weirdness on my computer is that some advertising AI has decided I live in "Abinger Hammer".

If not for being bisected by the A25 it would be a fantastic village nestling at the base of the North Downs; there's a lovely green, a restaurant or two, some watercress beds, a farm shop. And a clock. Oh, and the place always looked gorgeous on the RideLondon TV coverage.
Yes yes, but I DON'T live there, I'm about 10 miles away.

So why am I seeing these ads? (These were on on a single page of road.cc):

"These anthracite radiators are the most sold in Abinger Hammer"
"Abinger Hammer: Unsold Cruise Cabins Are Almost Being Given Away"
"This emerald necklace is the most sought-after product in Abinger Hammer"
"Abinger Hammer: Unsold sofas are distributed almost for nothing"
"The Actual Cost of One Day Full Mouth Dental Implants in Abinger Hammer Might...."
"Abinger Hammer: This is how much delivery drivers make in 2021 (see their salaries)"

What a load of **ite!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Abinger Hammer was a heck of a lot busier before the M25.. But that's nothing to do with your adverts, I suspect..

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Clearly it's time to reinstall the adblocker.

There's been a lot of talk about the males of Cyclechat being shown unwanted ads for bras, and various other items of women's apparel.
The latest weirdness on my computer is that some advertising AI has decided I live in "Abinger Hammer".

If not for being bisected by the A25 it would be a fantastic village nestling at the base of the North Downs; there's a lovely green, a restaurant or two, some watercress beds, a farm shop. And a clock. Oh, and the place always looked gorgeous on the RideLondon TV coverage.
Yes yes, but I DON'T live there, I'm about 10 miles away.

So why am I seeing these ads? (These were on on a single page of road.cc):

"These anthracite radiators are the most sold in Abinger Hammer"
"Abinger Hammer: Unsold Cruise Cabins Are Almost Being Given Away"
"This emerald necklace is the most sought-after product in Abinger Hammer"
"Abinger Hammer: Unsold sofas are distributed almost for nothing"
"The Actual Cost of One Day Full Mouth Dental Implants in Abinger Hammer Might...."
"Abinger Hammer: This is how much delivery drivers make in 2021 (see their salaries)"

What a load of **ite!

10 whole miles ?? That's practically another planet !

a.twiddler

Veteran
Do you really want a bunch of unaccountable, poorly regulated, profit motivated opportunists to bombard you with targeted advertising?
Use a VPN. That really will confuse them.

D

Deleted member 1258

You can use this to check where the “internet” thinks you’re located

For me its just showing an error and wants me to upload my location, that might be because I'm on my desktop.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am often regarded as being in Oban about 21road miles and a 6 mile ferry journey away.
Sometimes I do post from about 6 miles east of Oban.

Alex321

Veteran
For several years after I switched to Plusnet, all the adverts etc. Used to think I was in Sheffield (where they are based), several hundred miles away from my actual location, but nowadays, it gets Bridgend, which is only a few miles away.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My advertisers think I live in either Decatur, Georgia, (home of Michael Stipe) or Stevenage. I get ads urging me to check out the cheapest exhausts / mattresses / drugstores in all of Dekalb County, and adverts for takeaways who deliver in Stevenage old town. I don't live there.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
1650376837881.png

Public computer, that deletes everything after logging off.

Top Bottom