Internet at work... the barriers are coming down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Another alternative a collegue uses is www.logmein.com which is allegedly free...
...until you realise your online bank account is being syphoned.

domd1979

Veteran
We've had a "Web Sense" filter on our internet at work for a while now. It provides unlimited access to anything it considers work related, for other stuff like webmail and forums you have to use "quota" time which is set at 60mins a day. Recently there was something of a hoo-hah at work about use of internet in work time for non-work stuff, which led to our gaffer requesting ICT send him everyone's internet usage log. As the system records every last URL click by click, a report goes into 100+ pages per person!! Rather idiotically it doesn't split down by quota/non-quota time in the summary, which would be the main indication of farting around on the net for non-work purposes.

More recently we've had the joy of new email filters. Someone in their wisdom has set the incoming filters to be less strict than the outgoing. Consequently you can forward a seemingly acceptable email and trigger an email policy violation message back into your inbox. When I mentioned to my boss I'd had a few of these, he said he knew nothing of them so presumably IT don't actually contact anyone about alleged violations. That said across the organisation there must be zillions because the filter gets triggered by some not particularly offensive words.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Fab Foodie said:
Well, it's finally happening. The corporate internet barriers descend tomorrow.
Interesting... I'd have said the barriers are going up...hmm.... interesting.... (strokes chin and ponders the vagaries of language)

thePig

Like your style, I am currently on my 1 months free trial and have to say I am very impressed.

As long as you have decent connections at both ends it is almost as good as sitting at your own computer.

I have resigned from my job and am in the middle of a 3mths notice period so have pleny of time to use it :biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

Fnaar said:
Interesting... I'd have said the barriers are going up...hmm.... interesting.... (strokes chin and ponders the vagaries of language)

Ahh,

This is a glass half empty/glass half full sort of scenario methinks, going up being positive (maybe) descending, negative (possibly)

Fnaar said:

Yeah! I thought the same. I thought it was a relaxation.

lowering = lowering the drawbridge
Going up = raising the drawbridge :biggrin:

Weird eh!

Anyway: Depends how they monitor it. Unless they have a dedicated security team sending out reports, then the trigger is probably over use i.e constantly on one site. The odd raid is probably not going to set the alarms off. They had an internet policy at my last place long before they had any means of monitoring its use and then when the reports started being produced they were hard to get out and rubbish. It tightened finally, when we got taken over by a bank.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh yes, the weirdness of language and my irrational thought processes. I was thinking... portcullis, level crossing, those arm things at the exit and entrances to car parks...

Another alternative a collegue uses is www.logmein.com which is allegedly free but I have not tried this one out

I have installed the FREE version of logmein on several pcs @ work and all pcs @ our remote site. I actually use it to get in to work from home (or any internet cafe) but can also get to home from anywhere.

There is no charge and no financial details are given. Open up a dummy email address to register and start FREE installaltion. Email address becomes userid. Free version allows full screen, keyboard & mouse lockout and blanking if required. Does not allow drag & drop file transfers like the chargeable version, nor printing remotely. I just connect to work and email files to myself at home if needed. It does of course allow any application to be run remotely. In a moment of boredom yesterday I accessed home from work and played Yahtzee for an hour.

purpleR

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
Oh yes, the weirdness of language and my irrational thought processes. I was thinking... portcullis, level crossing, those arm things at the exit and entrances to car parks...

Or one of those cages that drops from the ceiling in a jewellery shop, klaxons blowing.

It may be that the barriers are a bit rubbish though. I work in an NHS building and their systems filter out lots of relevant useful pages - very annoying. But Cycle chat is fine! Not that it isn't relevant and useful here *sucks up to admin*

Top Bottom