Internet Maps For Euro Cyclists Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shawn Lee

I will post up a zillion Qs on my planned trip through Europe but first off can anyone help me find a map on the interwebz that works for us. When I look for directions & distances I only get results for cars & walkers. Can you help me get started please?
:smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I will post up a zillion Qs on my planned trip through Europe but first off can anyone help me find a map on the interwebz that works for us. When I look for directions & distances I only get results for cars & walkers. Can you help me get started please?
:smile:

Try www.viamichelin.co.uk there's a cycle option.

mcr

Veteran
Try www.viamichelin.co.uk there's a cycle option.

I can never get this site to work for me any more (using Firefox) - it just gums up every time, now even before selecting the cycle option.

Back to the OP: if you're going anywhere in Germany, this site, although centred around Baden-Wurttemburg, can route anywhere in the country using the local and regional cycle networks (you can also save gpx files and even pdfs of the mapped routes you've set yourself). In general, though, don't be over-reliant on technology to choose your route for you, as opposed to the good old-fashioned way of looking at a map (eg Google) and sussing out the nicest roads from the surroundings and terrain - the Google walking option will still give the closest approximation of distance and the line can be dragged away from the main roads to suit. Also (from experience) I would recommend not feeling obliged to follow pre-existing cycle routes to the letter, unless they happen to be going where you want to be.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I can never get this site to work for me any more (using Firefox) - it just gums up every time, now even before selecting the cycle option.

The solution is found within the problem - abandon Firefox and use a different browser.

The past few upgrades of Firefox have caused several sites that i used regularly to 'malfunction'. I was blaming the web sites until friends were saying that they were not having the same problems as me in fact they were not having any problems. The cure was to change to Google Chrome.

I still take paper maps with me. A printed text based route or a strip map loses its usefulness if you stray off it. Been there done that :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shawn Lee

Shawn Lee

Thanks guys, that Michelin site is a balls up in FFox.
mcr, it is France & Spain I am off to. I want to cycle from Perpignan to Barcelona then halfway on to Valencia to see family. I drove the Spanish side recently & it seemed ideal for two wheels, gentle grads. The French side.. little trickier, what with those 'hills' in the way, but the country-side is incredible.

Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom