internet not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Advent PC laptop tells me that the network switch is switched off - now this is believable because yesterday it shorted and has had to have a new chip installed. But...Dell PC is saying that there are no available networks. But....this Mac is just fine and dandy.

It beggars belief that two computers should simultaneously fail. And yet it appears that the wireless network is fine. Any ideas?

Mark_Robson

Switch off and then switch back on the wireless adapter on each lappy and see how it goes. Sometimes it's as easy as that.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sadly not in this case, but thanks for the thought. Dell now working, so Advent goes back to shop tomorrow.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well it's now true of both of us - the Advent is now working. Very mysterious, but a great relief.

Debian

This can sometimes happen if you have a close neighbour using a wireless router on the same, or a similar frequency. It can also happen if you are near to a Cell transmitter.

Try changing channels on the router.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I had a problem for a while with my HP laptop where it would sometimes come on with the wi-fi disabled...I googled about a bit and found it was a known issue, for which there was a free download on the HP site. Downloaded, sorted, no problems since. Might be worth googling to see if there might be something similar with your hardware?

BigSteev said:
There you go, bin both the others and enjoy.

That's what I thought.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Mark_Robson said:
Switch off and then switch back on the wireless adapter on each lappy and see how it goes. Sometimes it's as easy as that.

That reminds me of one of the funniest ever Top Tips I read in Viz:

Businesses! Save yourselves a fortune by closing down the IT department and buying a parrot which is trained to say: "Turn it off and turn it back on again.":biggrin:

Top Bottom