Internet / Phone probs - any comms whizzes on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I've mentioned over on the Mundane News thread, I'm having some rather irritating problems with my internet and phone, and I just want to pick some brains - assuming there are some comms whizzes on here. Please bear with me while I explain...

For the last week or so, my broadband kept on dropping out. Not during the day in the main, usually late evening / early morning. The internet status light on my router was off and the one for the broadband was blinking. Sometimes the connection would come back of its own accord, sometimes not, necessitating a reboot of the router. Speed was down to a quarter of what it usually is.

I've had this happen before when the weather is really hot, but usually it rights itself after a day or two. Not this time. (I do not have this problem at all during cooler / cold weather.)

I unplugged everything else (two phones, one corded, one cordless) and changed the filter on the master socket - where the router is plugged in.

That seemed to sort it for a couple of days, but then the problem returned with a vengeance. So I plugged the router into the test socket instead. That has solved the stability of the connection, but what I have is glacially slow - about a tenth of what it should be. After three days of a stable connection, it should have begun to speed up, surely?

The other issue is the landline. The dial tone has been on the quiet side of late, and a wee bit crackly, but nothing I can't live with. We're very rural here, several miles from the nearest exchange btw.

I plugged in a cordless phone to the filter attached to the test socket. That gave me a lovely loud dial tone. Then I tried a corded one which did the same. So I left it plugged in - it's kinda handy to have a connected phone when the downstairs extensions are out of the loop. When I tried it this morning, it was as dead as a doornail. A Grand Prix and a football match later, I try the cordless phone at the master socket - which works. And a quick try of the downstairs corded phone (which is fixed to the wall) using an extension cable also worked.

While I was at it, I did a quiet line test. Which was, well, quiet.

Now, I think I've successfully rules out any equipment problems (filters, router, computer) and I'm left with either an internal fault or an external fault:

1) About ten-ish years ago, the (late) male parental unit had someone come and add a repeater bell and an extra two port socket downstairs. This circuit is connected to the original downstairs phone socket. It rarely gets used, so I could quite happily remove it if it's causing some kind of interference.

2) The external line comes off the pole and attaches itself to the house just under the eaves, then goes into the box. A cable runs from the box, round the corner and along the edge of the roof before it goes into the house. The box is quite an old one - it has the T in a circle symbol on it - and is in direct sunlight until the late afternoon / early evening.

3) Some of the things I've been experiencing point to a broken / damaged external wire, but I can't be 100% certain of that.

I've almost run out of things to try that I can think of. Thing is, I want to definitively rule out an internal fault before I book a BT engineer as I don't want to have to pony up the hundred and something quid unnecessarily. I could seriously use some thoughts / suggestions here.

P.S. Sorry about the long post, this thing's been driving me potty...

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Had similar at work in the past also rural. Nearly always a wire that's almost broken at the junction box where it enters the building engineer always blame the long run of cable from pole and movement. In fact sometimes a wiggle gets me through to the engineer calling

Assume you have used the online tool of BT to check internal or external?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9941/~/troubleshoot-bt-phone-and-broadband-faults

The BT business one details where they think the fault is I screen shot it and book engineer

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Had similar at work in the past also rural. Nearly always a wire that's almost broken at the junction box where it enters the building engineer always blame the long run of cable from pole and movement. In fact sometimes a wiggle gets me through to the engineer calling

Assume you have used the online tool of BT to check internal or external?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9941/~/troubleshoot-bt-phone-and-broadband-faults

The BT business one details where they think the fault is I screen shot it and book engineer

Well, that would track. Have had that happen before, so not out of the realms of possibility that it would happen again.

I've used the basic online tool to check for faults, but not the one I have to log in for. That's on the agenda for tomorrow.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If your provider charges you for a routine visit to your home because you're not getting the service you pay for, you're with the wrong provider.

If your provider charges you for a routine visit to your home because you're not getting the service you pay for, you're with the wrong provider.

BT certainly warn you that they _may_ charge you. From memory, they said something along the lines of there'd be a bill for the visit if the fault turns out to be with the customer's equipment/wiring at the customer side of the master socket.

In my case, despite their absolute insistence that there was no problem with the broadband provision at that time, ringing up and having that conversation solved the problem for a couple of days although it re-occured a couple of weeks later. Once again there were apparently absolutely no system faults or problems causing the dropouts/slow down when I called to report the shockingly bad connection I was getting; they couldn't do anything to remotely rectify the non-existent fault and warned me again that if an engineer made a visit and it transpired that there was a fault with 'my' wiring, I would be charged for the callout. I actually arranged for a friend to come and have a look and planned to replace some bits of wire and stuff that have _looked_ shonky but been functioning fine ever since we bought the place, approaching 20 years ago. By the time they came round the problem had gone away and *touch wood* hasn't come back.... and it was long enough ago that I've since changed provider, with no issues.

(edit for typo)

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most of the country has no alternative to BT Open Wound's network for the final stretch and they always threaten to charge people.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Intermittent drop outs are a PITA. Your ISP should be able to run some tests to see if the fault is with them or elsewhere, but as said up thread you are paying for a service you are not receiving.
From February 2017 to October we had regular problems and during that period; a master and slave socket were swapped around, the line from the pole to the house was changed, terminals inside the house were changed and the line from the outside of the house to the master socket was changed. No charges were made for any of the work and I negotiated four months of free broadband for the inconvenience, (Plusnet).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are sure that it is not your equipment (and it does not sound like it is) then plug in your router to the test socket and perform all the tests and keep an eye on the connection. Any problems that occur before the test socket are BT's issue to resolve. Using the test socket will remove all the possible internal to the house problems from the equation. BT are quick to say that an engineers visit will cost you, but I don't know of many people who have been charged once they have performed some basic checks themselves.

U

User6179

You can go to your router page and check for problems there, just google router page address for your network and stick it in the address bar on your browser.

Get yourself a free piece of software to monitor your connection from a laptop. Plug it directly into the router and set it off. Any faults will rapidly show up and armed with this you can approach your provider. Also, make sure your router firmware is up to date. I did this with my ISP who were helpful up to a point but gave me a long list to eliminate problems first. They sat up and took notice when they got a longer list back from me along with some traces which proved the fault.

http://dslstats.me.uk/

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
[QUOTE 5298065, member: 10119"]BT certainly warn you that they _may_ charge you. From memory, they said something along the lines of there'd be a bill for the visit if the fault turns out to be with the customer's equipment/wiring at the customer side of the master socket.

In my case, despite their absolute insistence that there was no problem with the broadband provision at that time, ringing up and having that conversation solved the problem for a couple of days although it re-occured a couple of weeks later. Once again there were apparently absolutely no system faults or problems causing the dropouts/slow down when I called to report the shockingly bad connection I was getting; they couldn't do anything to remotely rectify the non-existent fault and warned me again that if an engineer made a visit and it transpired that there was a fault with 'my' wiring, I would be charged for the callout. I actually arranged for a friend to come and have a look and planned to replace some bits of wire and stuff that have _looked_ shonky but been functioning fine ever since we bought the place, approaching 20 years ago. By the time they came round the problem had gone away and *touch wood* hasn't come back.... and it was long enough ago that I've since changed provider, with no issues.

(edit for typo)[/QUOTE]

I had to have BT out last year. They said i would be charged £129 if the fault was mine. Luckily for me it wasn't.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The fact the phone is playing up strongly suggests an external line problem not broadband alone.

13 rider

Guru
If you get problems when plugged into the test socket of the master socket fault is in the openreach (bt) network . Sound like a high resistance (hr) fault due to a poor connection or corrosion which could be anywhere between the exchange and your master socket. You need to contact your comms provider ( who you pay the bill too ). Personally I would just mention the broadband dropping out and not the line noise as the line and broadband are treated differently and you really want a broadband engineer . All broadband lines are monitored and every dropout is recorded .
( I am a openreach engineer so I now how frustrating we are to deal with )
Good luck on sorting it out .
The line will probably tests ok as the test system does not pick up Hrs so you will be strongly advised about charges but it sounds like you have done everything to prove the fault is outside your control

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Using the test socket will remove all the possible internal to the house problems from the equation.
Not completely. Unless it's an ISP-owned modem/router and cable, try the modem with two different cables connecting it to the test socket and check the same problem occurs with both. There will still be a very small chance that it's the modem socket but I've never heard of that being the case unless the modem's been really yanked out of the wall soon before the problem started.

Top Bottom