Internet query from a Luddite. Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I do not even notice ads now. They are just part of the internet scenery. I get lots of ads for all sorts of things but I would never respond to any of them.

Venod

Eh up
Will a VPN connection stop this ?

Last week Mrs Afnug wanted to transfer a significant sum of money to her brother, she got a message on the screen to phone the bank, she had to answer loads of questions, the one that stumped her was why are you connecting from Germany, she had to pass the phone to me to explain we are connected through a VPN.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I do not even notice ads now. They are just part of the internet scenery. I get lots of ads for all sorts of things but I would never respond to any of them.
They still waste your time while you wait for the irrelevant rubbish to clog up the web page you want to look at. I don't like that. I want to stop it.

colly

Re member eR
I do work at a couple of hotels and when I'm driving away my phone pipes up and I will have a message from Trip Advisor asking if I enjoyed my stay. Spooked me out at first. I ignore it now and I'm past caring tbh.

U

User32269

We have a broadband account with BT, and a wi-fi router at home that the three of us use. Today, using Google, Lady Slowmo was looking up restaurants in Pollensa on her tablet. Tonight, random adverts for restaurants in Pollensa started popping up on my laptop, a completely separate machine.

How does that happen? If somebody could explain it in simple terms, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.
Have you tried switching it off. Then switching it on again?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have very wide and very flat feet. I love walking as a hobby.

Before Christmas during a seemingly endless search for new boots a very helpful lady in Cotswold World urged me to try the Hanwag Women’s Bunion Boot - a truly beautiful boot which didn’t quite fit. I was disappointed for me and her as the level of customer care she demonstrated deserved the sale.

This morning my adverts are for bunion related products. Fill your boots guys (!), waste your money and thanks for the laugh.

Someone truly is selling these advertisers a dead horse. As a retired sales manager I never managed this in a 40+ year career. Brilliant sales people or gullible customers?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
uBlock Origin is effective at blocking a lot of nasties, and ad channels have been used to spread nasties. And has been said, ditch Google.

Reactions: mjr

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
A change of browser is probably the simplest way to stop ads.
I use CM Browser on my phones and tablets - seems pretty effective at blocking ads.
I daresay other ad blocking browsers are available.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Will a VPN connection stop this ?
No, you'll still be tagged, bagged and tracked, but some of the geographically-targetted ads will probably be wrong.

My mate gets terribly animated about stuff like this, and uses virtual this that and the other & duck duck go and various other solutions that he's very excited about and keen for others to emulate, but I have adopted a different approach, which is not to care. Works for me.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye... or until you're taking an unplanned/unwanted trip in stylish orange with a stopover in Belmarsh because MiniTru has deemed you an undesirable.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I don't like it and don't really like being monetised, would rather pay a sub to not have everything recorded.

Not that I am hiding anything but the adverts are bloody distraction and the targeted one I wouldn't click on out of principle nosey feckers..

Here is another one, I looked at a Evans bike, right clicked and copied the title all whilst NOT logged in, went off and googled it PING next minute a bloody email from Evans!! "Did you know we Price Match?"

And inside was a link to the bike, wtf barstewards

Top Bottom