Intimidated by more experienced cyclists :/

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I would like to join a cycling club however I am a beginner cyclist and I am not a very fast cyclist I would like to join a cycling club as cycling in groups sounds fun and I could potentially learn new cycling routes. However I am worried that I am too slow and I will get left behind and I am not too good with hills either.

Jimidh

Veteran
Depends on your area and what cycling clubs you have around you.

Yes some clubs can be elitist butothers are very welcoming of beginners and have various different groups going out of differing abilities.

Look up British Cycling and Cycling UK for clubs in your area and check their websites to see what type of activities they are up to.

mythste

Veteran
Where abouts are you based?

Most areas have a huge but quiet contingent of people just like you, except they have each other which makes the whole thing a lot lovelier for everyone involved. I know a bunch of people in the Northwest who would gladly help but outside of that I'm sure between the forum we have most areas covered!

vickster

Legendary Member
Plenty of ladies club runs which may appeal :smile: There’s also the Breeze rides to look at

Some of the large London clubs might be a tad full on judging by the groups of Lycra warriors I see on a Sunday around SW London!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'll depend on the club. Mine's got a Ladies' section who have three basic rules, paraphrased by me as: 1. Every lady is important, no matter how fast or slow. 2. Stop and wait at the top of every hill. 3. Don't laugh at the slower ladies. Men are allowed but any who don't behave are disposed of. They've gone from 0 five years ago to at least 60 currently as a result of respecting every rider.

The better ones will be supportive, although it may take a little time to find the right one. Breeze rides are a decent start and British Cycling's clubfinder system will help: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

Where are you at?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

It'll depend on the club. Mine's got a Ladies' section who have three basic rules, paraphrased by me as: 1. Every lady is important, no matter how fast or slow. 2. Stop and wait at the top of every hill. 3. Don't laugh at the slower ladies. Men are allowed but any who don't behave are disposed of. They've gone from 0 five years ago to at least 60 currently as a result of respecting every rider.

The better ones will be supportive, although it may take a little time to find the right one. Breeze rides are a decent start and British Cycling's clubfinder system will help: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

Where are you at?
Depending how stuff goes with uni I will be either in London or Edinburgh

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Where abouts are you based?

Most areas have a huge but quiet contingent of people just like you, except they have each other which makes the whole thing a lot lovelier for everyone involved. I know a bunch of people in the Northwest who would gladly help but outside of that I'm sure between the forum we have most areas covered!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Where are you at?
Your club sounds like a really encouraging one (good for boosting morale :smile: )

DCLane

You've got lots of choice then. If it's Edinburgh @Pat "5mph" will have contacts with Belles on Bikes. Wherever you are in London there will be options for you at your level.

Hope uni goes well.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

You've got lots of choice then. If it's Edinburgh @Pat "5mph" will have contacts with Belles on Bikes. Wherever you are in London there will be options for you at your level.

Hope uni goes well.
Thank you once I know what my uni situation be I will start looking into clubs. Do you think it is better to be part of a single gender club or a mixed one?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Depends on the club. Beacon RCC were excellent when I lived in Birmingham. The clubs round here, less so.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you saw the club I belong to out on a Sunday run in full club kit you might think elitist, in truth a dozen riders may be so, the other over 190 riders not so and are not out on that run but doing smaller slower runs in maybe smaller groups. We have riders from 5 to 95 years old, some do not even ride a bike any more, but still have cycling in thier blood.

DCLane

Thank you once I know what my uni situation be I will start looking into clubs. Do you think it is better to be part of a single gender club or a mixed one?

It'll depend on the club. Making contact with potential ones is a start: there should be a Ladies' ride leader in mixed clubs. Their Facebook page and club page will give some information and a feel of how it operates.

If they're a British Cycling club then you get up to 5 rides with a club without having to join them so you get an idea of whether they're suitable. Cycling UK groups are probably similar.

Top Bottom