Introducing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Eggcellent! :biggrin:

Don't forget to smash the shell or witches will use them. :biggrin:
That's what we were told as kids. I think we were told they write your name in them and use them as boats :thumbsdown:. Quite small witches I guess.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

The thing is, with chickens, you recycle the shell back to the chook. The shell gets washed out, dried off in the oven, crushed up and fed back to the hens along with grit, so they keep up their calcium levels.

longers

Legendary Member
I didn't know that. Mine get crushed up and fed to the worms.

As a kid my Granny used to take us to the egg processing factory near Langwathby. It was not used for production of eggs merely the sizing and sorting of them.

Local farmers would bring their eggs to be graded and packaged. It was a fantastic place, conveyor belts, moving machinery and eggs galore.

I wonder if it's still there, if it is you wouldn't be able to wander round it like we did.

Maz

Guru
A chap at work bought 3 hens for his egloo at a tenner a piece. He says he doesn't expect them to lay for 5/6 weeks until they settle in.
Apparently you need to harvest the eggs pronto, otherwise the hen gets broody and sits on them to keep them incubated.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Look! Another one! Laid by Cathode a few minutes ago and I was present at the birth! We are a grandmother! But not for long, as it will be eaten... :smile:

EggNumber2thisonefromCathode0012004.jpg

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

fossyant said:
Those eggs will get really tasty on a proper diet.... how long do hen's live for - i.e. not laying years, as your hens are now pets !

They can live for years & years.. with a bit of luck & TLC. Of course, they do have to be out of the way of Mr Fox, Mr Mink, Mr Badger and the like.

Top Bottom