Introduction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Welcome :welcome:

If you're riding a century solo rather than an organised trip, just treat it as 4 25mile rides, and stop for cake after each one! Don't go too fast too soon, and build up to around a 75mile ride beforehand.

si_c

Guru
I appreciate all the welcomes. si_c thanks for the advice. It will be solo. Some of the stuff I've read mentions food every so often. I will plan on something every 25. Thanks again,
I usually carry some sandwiches and some oat bars as well as the obligatory sugar based snacks in addition to the planned stops. Just means that I have some back up in terms of food, if you are doing a century ride, I'd expect you will burn around 3k calories even on a flat route so you need to make sure you are eating enough throughout the day. Little and often is generally better for me than large meals, but you need to find what works for you.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome, glad you found us. Most of us are UK based but we have a good following from across the pond and elsewhere. I've even got a old Schwinn bike which I love.

Good luck with the century.

OP
OP
stillriding2

stillriding2

Regular
si_c,
It is all rolling hills to flat around here. No mountains with in about 600 miles unfortunately. I figured a few gels(flavored snot as I like to call them) and some chewy bars in the pockets along with some food pre stashed with water along the route.

Philhh

Nothing wrong with giant defy's he said having two -ones a 0-my best bike and the others a 3 4 /5years old off ebay but I've upgraded the group set to 105 it rains over here so itsalso got mud guards on as I'm an old guy a triple chainset for the hills I also use time atac pedals for the float-started riding again thisyear and after one ride had a really sore right thigh and knee joint-being impetuous I knew something was wrong I wasn't prepared to hang around-so I got a bike fit from mate-lowered the saddle-and at the same time got in two sets of time atac pedals-no problems Since! Good fortune with the ride I like to carry what we call flapjacks for the sugar boost

Solo century rides can get very trying, mentally. Plan a circular route, that takes in lots of points of interest to you personally. Try to route it so that you can't take an 'easy way out'. So nowhere near any train stations, or somewhere that's easy for someone you can call, to come and give you a lift. Remove the temptation, and you'll be fine. Eat little and often on the ride, don't wait until you actually feel hungry to eat something ( it's too late by then ), same advice for drinking. Have fun, if it's not fun, there's no point IMO.

adamhearn

Veteran
Energy wise my preference is to not use gels; they taste disgusting and for me at least don't seem to do much. Instead I take real items such as malt loaf, jelly beans, apricots, peanut bars, bananas (ripe and eaten early), flapjacks. It's important to keep hydrated and I would add an electrolyte supplement in one bottle.

For me a long ride is always better if you end at/near home. That way if you are shattered it's not to much effort to slump in a chair for the remainder of the day :smile: The last one I did I was solo for the entire ride and I found it harder to keep motivated; no issues with getting it done just at the finish line I felt happy to be finished rather than happy to have done it.

adamhearn

Veteran
Also consider what tools you'll be carrying. In my wedge shaped saddle bag I cram in a spare tube, some puncture repair patches, tyre boot, tyres levers, shoe lace, multi-tool, spare chain link and cleat bolt. I carry a small [but functional] pump on the frame.

I'd also recommend that you simulate a puncture repair prior to your ride so that you know what you'll need to take and how difficult/easy the job is (some tyre/rim combinations can be hard work).