Invisable Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It would be more effective and better for everyone to install pedestrian airbags on cars, like Volvo are doing.

Pedestrian airbags ? So it's OK to hit people in your car, just cos you have air bags for them. Bonkers

teekay421

the 'single use' bit is what I think - in their video there's someone about to impact upon a car windshield. I'm thinking, OK this could possibly be the first of a few impacts a rider could sustain. The rider once saved from this initial impact could then roll off to one side or be flung forwards if the car is then stopped abruptly and a following impact upon the tarmac for example by which point I'm guessing this temporary airbag has already done it's job and now useless?

peedee

Looks like a great idea to me, especially for countries where helmet use is pretty much non-existent. I'm sure with more development the price and size will come down - this is a first of its kind. Ultimately it should cost no more than an automatic life vest.

For those of you complaining about the price - how much did your lights cost? :rolleyes:

As for the single use - don't forget that the driver of the car that hit you will be paying for the replacement. :B)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
99% of cyclists in the Netherlands are wearing invisible helmets. They simply and clearly work better going by how safe cycling is there. (It's not all that dangerous here in the UK either, but we could still do a lot better).

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Pedestrian airbags ? So it's OK to hit people in your car, just cos you have air bags for them. Bonkers

Using that line of reasoning, we should remove all vehicle safety improvements made and rated under the NCAP system. After all, why make cars less dangerous to other road users? 2,000 deaths per year is obviously not enough!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
other than the cost and single use issues, both of which would reduce massivly if it became the vogue.

My thoughts would be focussed on fail-safe...what type of movement does it take to set the helmet off. Car air bags are deployed by the actions of a number of sensors and actuators. I'm guessing these are deployed by some relatively light weigh accelerometers or such. With this in mind, could you set it off by sneezing or looking suddenly to your right, or dropping off a kerb (perhaps that would actually be a great deterrent).

Additionally, as mentioned above, is this a rapid inflation-deflation device? if so there is a risk from secondary impact that the helmet cant handle. Car bonnets are becomming relativley soft places to hit...concrete is always gong to be hard. I wouldn't want the lid to deflate by the time the victim bounced to the floor.

Its got a feeling of foggy-ness about it to me. Car air bags react to a very distinct movement (trajectory) of a driver/passenger. the path is predictable and defined by the design of the container (the vehicle). On a bike, you can be thrown any manner of ways for any manner of distance and time.

On the plus side the area of protection provided seems far greater that a simple skinny lid.

Motorcycles have had a similar neck brace airbag for a while, if I recall.

Top Bottom