iPhone - can they be used for cadence etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

curlycomber

Regular
Hi,

I haven't been in the cycling loop for a few years.

Can you advise if an iPhone can be used in some sort of set-up re: cadence distance etc.

Thanks

Curlycomber

Good morning

For around £30-£40 you can buy a cadence sensor that will talk to a mobile from most major cycling retailers. This would be cadence only you would need a separate one for speed.

You may also want to try https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-speed-&-cadence-sensor/p/096044204568400 on the grounds that it is so cheap it doesn't really matter if it doesn't work well.

It's like a wireless speedometer in that it has a sensor and a magnet, one for the wheel and one for the crank.

Or https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/speed-cadence-sensors

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Download the free Strava app, although it won’t record Cadence you’ll have lots of info when you finish your ride, Distance, Average Speed, Moving Time, Elevation Gain, a map of your route etc.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Download the free Strava app, although it won’t record Cadence you’ll have lots of info when you finish your ride, Distance, Average Speed, Moving Time, Elevation Gain, a map of your route etc.

Not if the OP is like me, my first three tries using the iPhone app resulted in 1 not starting and 2 paused within a couple of seconds of starting. :-(

Never quite worked out why as I decided it wasn't for me after a couple of recorded rides.

Bye

Ian

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Good morning,

Not if the OP is like me, my first three tries using the iPhone app resulted in 1 not starting and 2 paused within a couple of seconds of starting. :-(

Never quite worked out why as I decided it wasn't for me after a couple of recorded rides.

Bye

Ian
If you are not familiar with Strava then the issues were probably user error :smile: I’d certainly recommend turning Auto Pause off, I had a similar problem as you did when I first started using the App.

KneesUp

Guru
I got a cadence sensor from Aldi for a tenner (I think) in the clearance bin. You had to sync it with their 'Crane' app initially, but after that it worked with Strava, and presumably would work with any other app. It did speed and cadence, but I stopped using it because my phone battery is on it's last legs and being Bluetooth it made the battery life worse. It did work, however.

Good afternoon,

If you are not familiar with Strava then the issues were probably user error :smile: I’d certainly recommend turning Auto Pause off, I had a similar problem as you did when I first started using the App.

That sounds quite likely to be the reason, I live on the wrong side of a busy road so starting the app and then waiting for it to be safe to get to the left side of the road may very well cause auto pause which may also be don't bother starting if it is a long wait.

After a few rides I found it to be interesting but not fun, I do get why people like it, but it is just not for me.

I went out on Sunday in very strong winds, hated the "out" part and really enjoyed the "back" part with reported peak 40mph gusts behind me.

This ride would have really messed up any stats that I could collect as the wind meant that I was going so slowly and then so fast (for me).

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
C

curlycomber

Regular
Thanks all I will start doing some research. Very early days still try sort out a road bike.

Curlycomber

there are two types of sensors, Any+ and bluetooth, Ant+ would be better as it's easily transferable to dedicated cycling gps units, (though I believe Bluetooth is now a feature of some). I am not sure how good they are, tried my Sony Z2 which is supposed to be Ant+ but was such a palaver I gave up, and I am usually pretty good at getting these things to work.
So short answer yes (proabably) if its Ant+ or bluetooth and with the right sensor, don't forget these also work with H.R. or should.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
In principle, a phone should be able to give a cadence without any external sensor.
Pedometer/step counter apps are common, and all you need on top is a timer and to keep the phone in a trouser pocket.

The one that came preinstalled on my phone will clock up 40,000 steps on a day's ride, with cycling in the saddle seemingly being reported as walking, climbing out the saddle as going up stairs, and walking being reported as running (I was gratified to see this report on the BBC)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you're not fussed about Strava etc. why not buy a simple cycle computer. I haven't had one for years but I guess £25-30 would give everything you need.

Saves using a very expensive phone with probably short battery life.

Top Bottom