iPhone Mount / apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oliglynn

Über Member
I'm looking for a decent mount to put my iphone on the bars so I can use maps more readily, just wondering if any of you have such a device, or any advice on what to pick / avoid. Also, any recommendations of training / route planning aps would be great.

Have had a look on ebay for mounts but quite a lot of them look rather flimsy or bulky - I would prefer lots of protection and a compact mount, but at the same time don't want to pay the earth for one!:wacko:

kyuss

Veteran
The only iPhone bike mount I've seen that looks any good to me is the Dahon one. I've no experience of it, but the reviews reckon it's quite good, and it certainly looks like it gives decent protection. Expensive, but cheaper than a replacement phone.

As for apps I've got Map My Ride. Not used it in anger yet, but again it seems to come recommended.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know it's not strictly on topic but seehere for a discussion on mounts for an HTC Desire. My point for both the iphone and the Desire, is do you really want to attach something that expensive to the first bit of you bike to hit anything?

I'm a definite Android fan and so use My Tracks which is similar to Map My Ride. Works fine in a jersey pocket where you can also put it in a protective case.

Just my tuppence....

lesley_x

Über Member
I am planning to get the Dahon mount when I get a bit of spare cash.

I use Cyclemeter and it does the job nicely.

LizardEye

I've just started using an app called Route Pad and it's great.

You can import GPX and KML files from MapMyRide or whereever and it will
display the route and your progress along it.

It will also show elapsed time, speed etc and the hills you've climbed and
have yet to climb ( which sounds like a line from a song).

Plus you don't have to have it running all the time so it doesn't drain the battery

OP
OP
oliglynn

oliglynn

Über Member
I've just started using an app called Route Pad and it's great.

You can import GPX and KML files from MapMyRide or whereever and it will
display the route and your progress along it.

Plus you don't have to have it running all the time so it doesn't drain the battery

Thanks for all your tips - dahon mount looks very sturdy, and I like that the phone is completely encased too. Sounds like there's a few apps out there too to do the job, so will have a look in a bit more detail and see what they offer and at what price!

Sounds good on telling you your hill climbing achievements, except I do like to try and block out any thoughts of hills yet to come!

Top Bottom