Iphone problem logging in to CC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Classic, remember when some of the longer running threads were split by @Shaun?
I think another one that got split was the tree word game, or maybe the tell a lie?
Few years ago now, the link to the following posts (second thread, if you like) has been left before the split.
I can see it from @oldwheels screen shot.
@oldwheels try clearing your history and cookies from your phone's browser (safari?), then log out of CC and log back in, let me know if this works.
I'm moving this thread to site support ^_^
I were thinking along similar lines part two of a thread, but the CC part two didn't match that train of thought. Link given brought up what was expected.

I know of the Three word game thread, but not the tree word thread.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I know of the Three word game thread, but not the tree word thread.
Lol, you know what I meant ... that one :laugh:

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Om
I think another one that got split was the tree word game, or maybe the tell a lie?
Few years ago now, the link to the following posts (second thread, if you like) has been left before the split.
@oldwheels try clearing your history and cookies from your phone's browser (safari?), then log out of CC and log back in, let me know if this works.

Thanks for that. I will try later on today sometime.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is possible with it being an older Apple xx( product that it is now 'unsupported', Maz's iPad started not allowing her to access certain websites (utility company, Leicester Council and her Bank plus many others)
Part of Apple's xx( marketing strategy much like not being able to fit a new battery........Planned obsolescence I think it's called

Dadam

@oldwheels do you log into cyclechat through an app (a cyclechat icon on the phone screen) or do you go into your web browser (eg. Safari, Chrome) and then open a bookmark? If the former it's likely that the app is no longer supported on the newer forum server software.

It is possible with it being an older Apple xx( product that it is now 'unsupported', Maz's iPad started not allowing her to access certain websites (utility company, Leicester Council and her Bank plus many others)
Part of Apple's xx( marketing strategy much like not being able to fit a new battery........Planned obsolescence I think it's called

Nope, iPhone 8+ is still well inside full support so it's not that. Even iPhone 6, which no longer gets new versions of iOS gets the occasional security patch for serious exploits. https://www.macworld.com/article/675021/how-long-does-apple-support-iphones.html

It's possible it may stop being able to get the latest iOS next year, but will probably get security updates for some years after.

The inability to access certain websites especially banks will be more likely due to security updates to block insecure sites. A fact of life in today's always connected world is that devices need to be up to date with security patches or sites like banks will block access from insecure devices.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member

My ipad is much older than the phone but has no problem with any access so far.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@oldwheels do you log into cyclechat through an app (a cyclechat icon on the phone screen) or do you go into your web browser (eg. Safari, Chrome) and then open a bookmark? If the former it's likely that the app is no longer supported on the newer forum server software.

Nope, iPhone 8+ is still well inside full support so it's not that. Even iPhone 6, which no longer gets new versions of iOS gets the occasional security patch for serious exploits. https://www.macworld.com/article/675021/how-long-does-apple-support-iphones.html

It's possible it may stop being able to get the latest iOS next year, but will probably get security updates for some years after.

The inability to access certain websites especially banks will be more likely due to security updates to block insecure sites. A fact of life in today's always connected world is that devices need to be up to date with security patches or sites like banks will block access from insecure devices.

Dunno I'm not very 'au fait' with mobiles in fact I don't even use my Nokia 'brick' any longer since 0range was bought out and then the next provider was bought out and it eventually was taken over by BT who promptly put the charges up to 39p per minute. When I first got a mobile £10 credit would last me 18 months to 2 years which continued for about 15-18 years until all this shenanigans started with most providers wanting you on 'CONtract' I've coped successfully for 5 or more years without one of the wretched things.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I have no problem that I have noticed with any other apps but now seem to have some sort of resolution of the CC problem. What was particularly puzzling that only parts of CC were affected and in particular mundane news.
The issue is not of major importance so far as CC is concerned but it seemed a good idea to have access when I had no other devices available.
Thanks for your helpful comments.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dunno I'm not very 'au fait' with mobiles in fact I don't even use my Nokia 'brick' any longer since 0range was bought out and then the next provider was bought out and it eventually was taken over by BT who promptly put the charges up to 39p per minute. When I first got a mobile £10 credit would last me 18 months to 2 years which continued for about 15-18 years until all this shenanigans started with most providers wanting you on 'CONtract' I've coped successfully for 5 or more years without one of the wretched things.

I am obviously not very au fait with phones either but I find them a necessary evil as among other things text messaging is used to give ferry disruption warnings and road closure warnings. Since I am used to the way they work I use Apple products and have got into some terrible fankles with the other main systems. My older son taught students the use of microsoft etc but for his own personal use only had Apple which did influence me a bit initially.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I now have some kind of positive result but no idea how I managed it. Interesting to see if it a long term solution.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am obviously not very au fait with phones either but I find them a necessary evil as among other things text messaging is used to give ferry disruption warnings and road closure warnings. Since I am used to the way they work I use Apple products and have got into some terrible fankles with the other main systems. My older son taught students the use of microsoft etc but for his own personal use only had Apple which did influence me a bit initially.

Sadly Microsoft seem to have gone down a similar route of late since Bill sold up, I did my ECDL* (European Computer Driving Licence) on XP and with a very competent lecturer had a good understanding of the way it all worked, unfortunately all changed now.

* The ECDL means you know how to work a Computer without losing information and was seen as mandatory for anyone wanting to work in the industry

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Only in certain quarters. We regarded it as an insult for the question even to be raised and it was quietly dropped ^_^

Yep funny that people think that PC's and the internet are the world, my Father was one of the top experts in the country with a salary of around three quarters of a million when he died 25years ago. He had worked on the control systems of 2 Nuclear power stations (Hartlepool and Heysham) and when Englsh Electric/BNDC/NPC at Whetstone was closed down making thousands redundant he was one of the few key personnel who was relocated up to near Manchester, after that he was not allowed to talk about what he did at work (official secrets act) but he used to be flown around the country in the company private jet. He'd gone beyond the point of using computer terminals and his main tools were Rotring pens and a drawing board drawing logic paths for computer systems not connected to the former IBM design that Bill Gates purchased. Yeah sure he could work a PC but as he put it "I'm not a bloody Typist"

He died after surgery on an ulcer caused by the painkillers he was prescribed for mis-diagnosed back pain which was a stomach ulcer that was actually made worse by them never coming out of the anaesthetic after the operation. He was only 56

Top Bottom