iPhone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richie1964

SamNichols said:
Living rooms are so passe. The more discerning just have a bedroom with a desk in it.

Bedrooms are just so nineties. The more cosmopolitan of us have a 2 door vertical storage/living unit complete with hanger rails. And what's a desk?

Jaded

A desk is OK if it is hot.

twowheelsgood

Jaded said:
What a truly ghastly state of affairs. I'm amazed that I ever survived the 18 and 24 hour train journeys that I have made.

Mind you, at least now I know how deprived I was. Thanks.

If you don't like the iPhone, don't buy one! Did someone with an Apple Lisa stamp on your Action Man? :blush:

Nope I have an old G4, an ipod and have sucessfully installed OSX on a "hakintosh". So I'm hardly a Mac hater. I just increasingly don't like their "sealed box" business practices ruining otherwise good products.
It's not just an Apple thing, I no longer buy Sony for their use of proprietary formats (ATRAC, memory stick etc.).

Anyway it was more a critique of these "convergence" devices in general. They are all compromised and always will be. I for one won't sit and watch a 1h 30min movie on a 3 and a bit inch screen. Nor do I want to clamp a brick to my ear no matter how shiney. (oh and iphone has a deliberately knobbled bluetooth so you can't even use 3rd party headets either - again frustrating for no reason other than tie you further into Apple.)

For now I will keep a seperate phone for communication that does a week and a half on standby and maybe I'll upgrade my ipod for a video player. I just don't think iphone is a particularly good solution (and a massively overpriced one) once you get past the wow factor of the UI. Although I do like the pinch and stretch browser.

Jaded

twowheelsgood said:
Anyway it was more a critique of these "convergence" devices in general. They are all compromised and always will be.

That is a good point.

However I used to think I'd never use a camera phone, then I got a SE W810i. Carrying one item instead of two makes a difference. In fact a good converged device could save me carrying four items - camera, phone, Palm Pilot and iPod.

It's one compromise against another, I suppose. Fewer things to carry, fewer wires and chargers when I go away, balanced against the fact that I only would get 80% of the functionality of the individual devices.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have a nokia n70. Had it for nearly a year. On it I can surf the web (incl this forum), I can take fairly decent photos and vid clips, I can get and answer emails, incl attachments, I can read and write powerpoint, word and excel docs (ok, a bit limited functionality, but I can still do it), I've got nigh on 300 tunes loaded (more than I would ever listen to in one sitting)...what's all the fuss?

Top Bottom