Ipod questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
bonj said:
but better still is just get a mobile phone that can play mp3s, then you don't have to carry multiple devices around. I just use my nokia n95, it's perfect a an mp3 player and can play up to 8gb. Can download music aswell!

I agree. I have got a nokia 3109 classic with a 2gb card and uploaded all my albums via the windows media player. Easy peasy :blush:

BMR

iphone 3G runs on the same itunes software as well its fantastic, you can load a cd into itunes in about 5 mins I cant stop playing with mine (some say I will go blind)

mondobongo

Über Member
I have a Sony Ericsson 890i, great music player and phone, the disc to phone software is a real doddle to use drag and drop click on download on it goes.

We had a mare with itunes disabling the drives on our pc, when we called the helpdesk and said what the problem was, first thing the tech said was have you got itunes on your computer. Sorted out in a couple of minutes but something to be aware of.

Globalti

Legendary Member
bonj said:
ipods are a complete con imho, they try to force you to use itunes as your complete one-stop music solution, when what you actually want to do is browse what actual mp3 files you've got on your pc and copy, delete to mp3 player and burn at your leisure. The whole ipod/itunes philosophy is if you don't do EVERYTHING using THEIR system, they're not playing ball.
itunes tracks use their own custom encryption to make it so that you can only play it on an ipod or the computer with itunes on. So are wmas from things like napster, but you can get software to unencrypt them to standard mp3s.
That'd be ok if it all worked flawlessly. But i've heard nightmare horror stories of people getting into shockingly confusing tangles trying to transfer tracks when they do something so simple as change their pc.
Also, ipods' hard disks wear out (they're not all solid state), this happened to my dad's one. You switch it on and it's got a :blush: face symbol, so although without inetnding to imply it's intentional, it's obviously something that's envisaged is going to have a shelf life! I've also read stories of there being issues with the batteries and screens.
My advice is get a decent solid state (memory card based) mp3 player, sign up to a wma shop like napster or nokia music store or the equivalent, bite the bullet and lash out on a wma to mp3 converter, and manage your music using windows explorer. It's the only way to be completely fuss-free.

With respect and through The Chair, this is complete bollocks. You write from the point of view of somebody who is clearly more competent (and possibly richer) than the average computer user and able to make your own way. Millions of ordinary people find iPods easy to use and have no objection to the very easy software with downloads at a reasonable 79 pence. All three of us in my family have iPods and we find them completely fuss free - on the other hand for ordinary computer users like us I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to identify a reliable mp3 player, download the software, buy a wma to mp3 convertor (WTF is that?) then get it all to work seamlessly like iPod and iTunes do.

You probably also mix your own muesli, don't you!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like my iPOD - couple of years old now, but hubby would be in the Bonj camp and has gone down that route for him. But I find the iPOD easy to use mostly (with a bit of help from him), I can load on all my CD's - well not at once. And I have an ipod stand in the kitchen so I can listen whilst I'm cooking.

Batzman

You don't have to use iTunes...

I happen to be a computer/technical guy ... my £0.02

There is other software out there like anapod, and ipod explorer which lets you drag and drop music onto your ipod like you do with the other music players/phones out there. But, iTunes will search your computer for your music when you first install it, and then when you plug in the ipod, it will automatically copy it all across (assuming you have a big enough ipod)

The iPod touch is really more suited to web surfing via wireless, movies, etc, you might not want to go to the expense of an iPod touch if you just want to play music on it. (one of the classic iPods would do fine, I think)

surfgurl

If you go the ipod route, I have a tip for itunes. It is very easy to click and purchase tracks from the itunes store when you have put in your credit card details. I occassionaly buy an itunes gift voucher, most supermarkets have them at the tills with the phone credits, then you restrict yourself before you get clicky happy with buying music.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the new itunes version 8 is really good, as it will generate a whole playlist based on the selection of one song. one word of caution though, it isn't compatible with airport express yet, but apple are apparently working on it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I knew I shouldn't post on this thread... after the mention of Version 8 I remembered I hadn't been into itunes recently ... so opened it... up poped some agreement... I think I ticked the right box... but no itunes...
So I plug in my ipod - alternative way of getting itunes... still no itunes and the ipod says Do Not Disconnect.

Checked applications in task manager and itunes isn't running so is it OK to disconnect the ipod? and where has my itunes gone!!!

I would ask techy husband but he is currently rebuilding the shed (discovered it rotting yesterday and its where we store our precious bikes), and so I don't want to disturb him. And he would also make rude comments about itunes too.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK suddenly noticed something... iTunes Setup Assistant...
Warning Bonjour service can't be found.... reinstall itunes...

I did notice that something called Bonjour was trying to download a couple of days ago but as I didn't know what it was I denied access. Why it couldn't be called itunes bonjour then I would of probably allowed it.

Edit: I have downloaded Bonjour and its all fixed - without any help - told my hubby he is now suplus to requirement now I have done this - and feeling very pleased with myself.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I use a Sony. I have an old NW-E407 that is excellent and discontinued. It uses Sony's own compression and so I have 600 tracks on the 1Gb and the built in rechargable battery gives me 50 hours of play. It is also the size of a clippy lighter. I have built a clip and FM transmitter in the car for it and it lives in there most of the time within easy reach for track selection.

The downside is that although it worked well and I have loaded my own CDs onto it on my old pc now I have my laptop it's security now won't let me do anything with it as it thinks I am trying to pirate copy music to, or from, a different pc. So I am stuck with the tracks I have loaded and the play order that it is in.

bonj2

Rigid Raider said:
With respect and through The Chair, this is complete bollocks. You write from the point of view of somebody who is clearly more competent (and possibly richer) than the average computer user and able to make your own way. Millions of ordinary people find iPods easy to use and have no objection to the very easy software with downloads at a reasonable 79 pence. All three of us in my family have iPods and we find them completely fuss free - on the other hand for ordinary computer users like us I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to identify a reliable mp3 player, download the software, buy a wma to mp3 convertor (WTF is that?) then get it all to work seamlessly like iPod and iTunes do.

You probably also mix your own muesli, don't you!

I'm not saying ipods don't all work seamlessly, I'm just saying that they don't work the way I want them to. For some people (like your family obviously) they're probably the ideal solution, but i'm just saying that, for me, they don't give me enough control.
For instance:
a) say you want to burn off an mp3 cd to listen to in your car. You can't - because you havent' actually GOT any mp3s. itunes presumably has a nice convenient 'burn' button on its user interface, but it only burns audio cds, i.e. one album per cd, as opposed to 10 albums per cd on an mp3 cd.
:bravo: Have you ever changed your computer and transferred all your ipod tracks from old to new and come through the experience still regarding ipods and itunes as 'fuss-free'?
c) can you and your family all swap and share tracks with each other?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
I'm not saying ipods don't all work seamlessly, I'm just saying that they don't work the way I want them to. For some people (like your family obviously) they're probably the ideal solution, but i'm just saying that, for me, they don't give me enough control.
For instance:
a) say you want to burn off an mp3 cd to listen to in your car. You can't - because you havent' actually GOT any mp3s. itunes presumably has a nice convenient 'burn' button on its user interface, but it only burns audio cds, i.e. one album per cd, as opposed to 10 albums per cd on an mp3 cd.
:bravo: Have you ever changed your computer and transferred all your ipod tracks from old to new and come through the experience still regarding ipods and itunes as 'fuss-free'?
c) can you and your family all swap and share tracks with each other?
poppycock. create a new playlist, copy all the tracks you want into it, select the playlist and click the burn disc button. you then select the audio cd or mp3 cd button in the dialogue box.

on point b, if your ipod matches your itunes library, use the free to use expod (for mac) software to copy the contents of your ipod to your hard drive, then simply drag and drop them into itunes.

on point c, the answer is yes. the music files are all contained within the user's itunes music folder. in any case, you can drag and drop from out of itunes onto a volume to copy it. only songs purchased from itunes' music store require a machine authorisation to play (and you can have up to five). if you are likely to be doing this, set mp3 as the default import method.

kyuss

Veteran
Batzman said:
But, iTunes will search your computer for your music when you first install it, and then when you plug in the ipod, it will automatically copy it all across (assuming you have a big enough ipod)

iTunes will only do this is you leave automatic syncing on, turn it off and you can manage your iTunes and iPod manually like any other music player/organiser.

bonj said:

Moving music from one machine to another is as easy as signing in to the iTunes store and deauthorising the old computer, leaving you free to move everything to the new one.

Carwash

Señor Member
Oh bonj! Stop moaning, for goodness' sake, and get that chip off your shoulder!

bonj said:
I'm not saying ipods don't all work seamlessly, I'm just saying that they don't work the way I want them to.

They don't work the way I want them to either - so I just use something else. Perhaps you should consider this option. Whinging about how you were outsmarted by a piece of software solves nothing.

Top Bottom