Ipod questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Im interested in these ipods,but im led to believe you have to buy everything on the official site?Can i not just drag and drop what i want into the ipod from my pc?So i could build up a music collection on the ipod from my own cd's or places like limewire?
Also if anyone has one,what are they like,reliable easy to use,battery life ect.I fancy the new ipod touch but dont want to bother if it has to be official site only purchases,and maybe even the classic ipod with a screen for pictures.What do you think?

longers

Legendary Member
You can put all your own music onto it, no problem. Got all my cd's on I-tunes (the organiser type program on your PC) and put what I want onto my I-pod.

You can only use I-tunes to work with your I-pod but you can put what you want onto the I-tunes (this is free software to download).

What's not to like?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
you can download your own cds, use mp3/aac etc files from wherever, as well as music from the itunes store. you need the (free from apple.com) itunes software to do all this, it's a great piece of kit. the ipod classic will hold more music than an ipod touch.

battery replacement kits are available on the net, should you ever need one.

http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Excuse my ignorance,but can i not just drag and drop the music from my pc straight into it,or does it have to be put into itunes first?Im not sure if i like having to go through itunes when i want to put a song on,or what about photos,or is that the same?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Oddly enough, I've just downloaded itunes from the Apple site and am putting some of my many CDs on as we speak, in preparation for my ipod arriving in the post on Monday. It's easy, far easier than I thought it would be. the downside is I've already spent over a tenner on downloads.

That was the other worry,im not a wizz when it comes to the pc,and wondered how the itunes site works and if it would be difficult too,i dont want to be forking out for songs when i have plenty on my pc,i dont do online shopping anyway.

col said:
That was the other worry,im not a wizz when it comes to the pc,and wondered how the itunes site works and if it would be difficult too,i dont want to be forking out for songs when i have plenty on my pc,i dont do online shopping anyway.

I'm new to this myself, but as far as I can see, the itunes software just acts as an interface between the PC and the ipod. I just happened to see some albums I wanted while I was browsing the itunes shop, but you don't have to spend money.

longers

Legendary Member
Col, if I can do it, you can.

You don't have to go into the I-tunes shop as that is a separate part of the program and you can easily ignore it if you want. I've bought very little in the couple of years I've been using it. 99% of my library is my cd's and swaps from friends.

purplemoon

I have a feeling the file formats are different for Ipods, hence the need to use Itunes. My son has one and has filled it all with his own music from the PC so it can't be difficult to do. Just be careful if you use anything like Limewire as you're likely to end up with viruses :blush:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Col, the ITunes website is essentially idiot proof. Very easy to use especially when you need to put your favourite tracks into playlists, which is recommended if, like me, you have a lot of cd's to put on.

I'm no wizz with technology either but don't worry, it's easy.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
You can drag-and-drop onto iTunes if you like, and it will then copy your music to your iPod, but it's easiest just to tell iTunes where your music is stored on your PC and it will then keep everything synced for you.

You don't have to buy music from the iTunes store, but it's handy to be able to buy individual tracks.

Ben

bonj2

ipods are a complete con imho, they try to force you to use itunes as your complete one-stop music solution, when what you actually want to do is browse what actual mp3 files you've got on your pc and copy, delete to mp3 player and burn at your leisure. The whole ipod/itunes philosophy is if you don't do EVERYTHING using THEIR system, they're not playing ball.
itunes tracks use their own custom encryption to make it so that you can only play it on an ipod or the computer with itunes on. So are wmas from things like napster, but you can get software to unencrypt them to standard mp3s.
That'd be ok if it all worked flawlessly. But i've heard nightmare horror stories of people getting into shockingly confusing tangles trying to transfer tracks when they do something so simple as change their pc.
Also, ipods' hard disks wear out (they're not all solid state), this happened to my dad's one. You switch it on and it's got a :blush: face symbol, so although without inetnding to imply it's intentional, it's obviously something that's envisaged is going to have a shelf life! I've also read stories of there being issues with the batteries and screens.
My advice is get a decent solid state (memory card based) mp3 player, sign up to a wma shop like napster or nokia music store or the equivalent, bite the bullet and lash out on a wma to mp3 converter, and manage your music using windows explorer. It's the only way to be completely fuss-free.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Ok lets say for example i decide not to go down the ipod route,what other players are out there that would be a simple drag and drop from my pc?

bonj2

you can go for a cheapo 2GB one e.g. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5137136/Trail/searchtext>MP3.htm

or a 4GB for £25: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5137143/Trail/searchtext>MP3.htm

or the creative zen range is very good, my sister's got one and likes it. They do a whole range from cheap to high storage ones.

but better still is just get a mobile phone that can play mp3s, then you don't have to carry multiple devices around. I just use my nokia n95, it's perfect a an mp3 player and can play up to 8gb. Can download music aswell!

Mr Pig

I really like iPods but I must admit that I don't like iTunes or the way Apple bully you into using it. I'd buy an iPod, or rather another one, but many other MP3 type players are much simpler to use for a Windows reared human.

Top Bottom