iq cyo burn out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chirk2000ad

Has anyone experienced this?

I was cycling along in dark, dry conditions. I stopped for a break and then when i started off again the b & m cyo wouldn`t light up. I had to ride home on the emergency lights. Luckily i wasnt too far from home.

When I checked the hub dynamo (shimano) output the voltage was good so I stripped down the cyo. On the PCB inside several of the tiny components in the bottom corner had fried and burned out, but I couldn't see why as there was no water or debris ingress.

I have had the unit for about 2 years but am pretty sure its outside of warranty. The led still works as the standlight is still functioning.

Needless to say I am a bit taken aback that it went like this as I thought that these lights were designed to give many years service. I wonder if the b&m would replace or if they would be interested to see the failure as I bought the light from a supplier in Germany?

Also gives me doubts over wether to go for another cyo? Anyone else using a dynomo front light and managed to get more than three years out of it?

Milo

Guru
You can only try the worst that can happen will be they say no.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Has anyone experienced this?

I was cycling along in dark, dry conditions. I stopped for a break and then when i started off again the b & m cyo wouldn`t light up. I had to ride home on the emergency lights. Luckily i wasnt too far from home.

When I checked the hub dynamo (shimano) output the voltage was good so I stripped down the cyo. On the PCB inside several of the tiny components in the bottom corner had fried and burned out, but I couldn't see why as there was no water or debris ingress.

I have had the unit for about 2 years but am pretty sure its outside of warranty. The led still works as the standlight is still functioning.

Needless to say I am a bit taken aback that it went like this as I thought that these lights were designed to give many years service. I wonder if the b&m would replace or if they would be interested to see the failure as I bought the light from a supplier in Germany?

Also gives me doubts over wether to go for another cyo? Anyone else using a dynomo front light and managed to get more than three years out of it?

I got water inside both of mine and emaile B&M ot ask how I could take them apart to dry them, they took a while to answer but came back with a very polite apolgetic reply asking me to send it to them for replacement.

Top Bottom