Irish inventions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was reading Gwynne's Latin today. He wrote that the Irish invented rhyme in poetry. Latin and Greek poetry didn't rhyme. [If it doesn't rhyme, surely it's not poetry. Maybe he meant verse. Mind you, Ozymandius doesn't rhyme.] The thing about Latin poetry not rhyming is that it made it more difficult to work out what the original pronunciation was like.

There was something quite interesting a couple of pages later, but I can't remember what it was. Maybe it will come to me later.*

* Emperor Constantine's mother was from Britain.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Submarine.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was reading Gwynne's Latin today. He wrote that the Irish invented rhyme in poetry. Latin and Greek poetry didn't rhyme. [If it doesn't rhyme, surely it's not poetry. Maybe he meant verse. Mind you, Ozymandius doesn't rhyme.] The thing about Latin poetry not rhyming is that it made it more difficult to work out what the original pronunciation was like.

There was something quite interesting a couple of pages later, but I can't remember what it was. Maybe it will come to me later.
Gaelic perchance?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Gaelic perchance?
This is what I was wondering too. Did they use to write down Gaelic (or Irish as they prefer to call it)? If they did then did they write the poems in Ogham writing, because if they did there is no way their invention would have spread. If they used the Roman alphabet that would confuse outsiders too, because they pronounce Siobhan as Shavorn and Niamh and Naeve (I think). I've no idea how Aoife is pronounced. I suspect their rhyming was in Latin. Christianity survived in Ireland after it was wiped out in England, so maybe it was Irish monks who wrote down rhyming verse.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is what I was wondering too. Did they use to write down Gaelic (or Irish as they prefer to call it)? If they did then did they write the poems in Ogham writing, because if they did there is no way their invention would have spread. If they used the Roman alphabet that would confuse outsiders too, because they pronounce Siobhan as Shavorn and Niamh and Naeve (I think). I've no idea how Aoife is pronounced. I suspect their rhyming was in Latin. Christianity survived in Ireland after it was wiped out in England, so maybe it was Irish monks who wrote down rhyming verse.
Siobhan is Shivawn(Learnt from an Irish cousin, when I got her name wrong all the time).

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The modern submarine.

Name escapes me, but the inventor, from County Clare, offerred it to the British. They turned him down, so he sold it to the Americans. Who then used it against the British.

Checked and it was John Philip Holland.

That's not bad. We British invented the train, the tank, the hovercraft, and, I am almost certain, the steam engine. The Americans invented the aeroplane, and the helicopter. The Germans invented the car, the rocket and the airship. The French invented the hot air balloon. It's impossible to say who invented the boat, ship or horse-drawn conveyance. I don't know who invented the bus, the motorcycle or the bicycle.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Aoife must be Eve, surely?

Makes me laugh when media types re-spell their boring English names the Gaelic way so as to make them stand out in the credits.

The Irish invented Guinness. I'm in Lagos, which has the biggest Guinness brewery in the world, bigger than Dublin. How did Guinness come to West Africa? The Irish missionaries brought it with them.

Top Bottom