Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I've never had an issue getting a train back from Edinburgh normally but we were quite late finishing PfS last time and I definitely remember waiting for at least a couple of hours because each train could only take a few riders and bikes. I suppose if you get there early enough you can avoid the majority of the queue.
Easy, just cycle to Perth, and get on a Train there - or better yet, live in Edinburgh.

Slick

Guru
Easy, just cycle to Perth, and get on a Train there - or better yet, live in Edinburgh.
:eek::eek:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Not done PFS for a few years, felt it was getting more expensive with less features year on year. Looking at the set-up for this year and it doesn't even go into Edinburgh any more?

In other news, I see they're re-opening the train line to Leven. Good news, opening up the East Neuk for cycling.

Slick

Guru
I just downloaded the event information guide.:wacko:

Work starting on the Levin link is great news. 70 million for 5k of track seems expensive, although I assume there's some changes to be made to the existing line?

Brandane

Legendary Member
PFS became a victim of it's own success. Last time I did it was a few years ago and was my fourth time. The start was a slow moving queue, and the first few miles was a bit testing on my (admittedly lacking) patience. Then there were the narrow coned off sections which were a shambles, particularly near the Edinburgh end with loads of selfish eejits trying to cycle back to the west against the flow! Also, the return bus journey was a bit shambolic and one year I sat in an old double decker, very wet and very cold, for an agonising 2 hours.... Suffice to say, I won't be going this year, but my fiancee's daughter wants to do it (having taken up cycling a few weeks ago) so I am under pressure to join her. I might have to grin and bear it for a day, for the sake of domestic bliss......

A much better option is the Round Strathaven 50 miler, on Sunday 18th August, for which I have signed up. Weather depending, as always.... ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
I have done a few PfS, but couldn't cope with the early start nowadays- cycling before 9 in the morning eeek!
One of my early memories was hearing an official commentator on a loudspeaker describing my progress as I cycled a lap of Meadowbank stadium to mark completion of the run from Glasgow:biggrin:.
Another time when the run started from Edinburgh, I was carefully navigating the streets of Glasgow, not really sure how far I had to go to reach George Square. I turned at a junction and found myself on a banner lined street where people applauded my arrival. Thought I'd taken a wrong turning, no one had ever applauded my cycling performance before!:biggrin:

Slick

Guru
I have done a few PfS, but couldn't cope with the early start nowadays- cycling before 9 in the morning eeek!
One of my early memories was hearing an official commentator on a loudspeaker describing my progress as I cycled a lap of Meadowbank stadium to mark completion of the run from Glasgow:biggrin:.
Another time when the run started from Edinburgh, I was carefully navigating the streets of Glasgow, not really sure how far I had to go to reach George Square. I turned at a junction and found myself on a banner lined street where people applauded my arrival. Thought I'd taken a wrong turning, no one had ever applauded my cycling performance before!:biggrin:
That's glaswegians for you. :okay:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Popped up the town and watched the Womens Tour of Scotland come through.

50D4405D-5BA5-42D1-94A0-D4504386FDCC.jpeg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is this a good idea?
Give her some basic lesson in looking behind and road positioning.
There are some aggressive riders on PfS, also some very wobbly ones!
She's ok on her bike, been on them on and off over the years. Also a competent driver. She's 30 by the way :okay:, fiancee's younger daughter. Elder one is 35. I've acquired a 14 year old granddaughter too :ohmy:. Lovely fiancée was married at 19 and started a family soon after; her elder daughter did similar :tongue:.

bruce1530

Guru
A much better option is the Round Strathaven 50 miler, on Sunday 18th August, for which I have signed up. Weather depending, as always.... ;)

Strathaven was great last year. I was in two minds whether to do it this year, but checked the website this morning. 600 places on it, only 19 left. So I paid my 20 quid and signed up.

Just checked - only 1 place left now.

Anyone else from here going?

Top Bottom