Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Slick if you look at the pic. of the canal basin the largest boat seen is Mr Cadden the dentist’s boat. He also went to Coll and Tiree. A bit primitive as all dentists were in those days but he provided a service. His main practice was in Old Drumchapel. Latterly he had a land base in Tobermory and came for a week every month.
I knew at one time about the wrecks but I now cannot recall any details.
I knew it would be a long shot, but great pictures backed up by a great story nonetheless, thanks. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Slick the pictures were taken on a Rollieflex and part negative blown up to 18 x 20 which explains the lack of clear definition.
If you google Bowling Harbour Wrecks you will find pictures of the wrecks and the known names.
I think we have now done this one to death.

Twilkes

Guru
Did a Sunday afternoon 45 minutes on the Loch Lomond path and where it was fairly clear of people I averaged just under 16mph, while trying to keep my pace between the 16-18mph that I would need for an all-day ride, so that wasn't to bad. But where there were more people and traffic lights and roads to cross the average speed plummeted, so I'm not sure a long distance route using those paths would suit me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3004954517/analysis/317/1542

So I'll probably end up taking a more direct route to Callander and pick up the path from there, as I've not seen much of that area yet so would be nice to get off the busy main road for that.

And the next question is - between Bowling and Dumbarton there are some big rocky outcrops on the right hand side - are there any good road routes up there or is it all off-road trails? The maps aren't always clear. (edit - obviously not to the very top of the outcrops, just that general area :smile: )

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On the top side above Bowling is Auchentorlie Estate which used to keep the gates locked apart from the main lodge entrance. I had running battles with them over access and they were not happy about my employees poaching. The cooperage always had a nice stew on the stove. As long as it was in their own time I was not bothered. There is a quarry there also now. Any roads outwith the residential area are dirt track but is a long time since I have been there so things may have changed.

Slick

Guru
Did a Sunday afternoon 45 minutes on the Loch Lomond path and where it was fairly clear of people I averaged just under 16mph, while trying to keep my pace between the 16-18mph that I would need for an all-day ride, so that wasn't to bad. But where there were more people and traffic lights and roads to cross the average speed plummeted, so I'm not sure a long distance route using those paths would suit me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3004954517/analysis/317/1542

So I'll probably end up taking a more direct route to Callander and pick up the path from there, as I've not seen much of that area yet so would be nice to get off the busy main road for that.

And the next question is - between Bowling and Dumbarton there are some big rocky outcrops on the right hand side - are there any good road routes up there or is it all off-road trails? The maps aren't always clear. (edit - obviously not to the very top of the outcrops, just that general area :smile: )
Between Bowling and Dumbarton you are better on the road except for the short diversion to the magic bike shop fir a quick cup of tea.
The Humphreys are above and are a road to nowhere as far as I know, some nice walks and some tales of suicidal dogs if memory serves.

Twilkes

Guru
The Humphreys are above and are a road to nowhere as far as I know, some nice walks and some tales of suicidal dogs if memory serves.

I didn't know any of these roads/tracks existed, might be good for a local hill climb and a view and a brew at the top. Apparently this road has had some resurfacing work recently, does anyone know if it is rideable on a road bike to the top? Guess there's only one way to find out...

https://goo.gl/maps/W53YGTsoBswLAbK57

It boggles my mind that people do an 80 mile round trip from London to ride up Box Hill in Surrey, whereas this hill is 5 miles from my house!

Slick

Guru
I didn't know any of these roads/tracks existed, might be good for a local hill climb and a view and a brew at the top. Apparently this road has had some resurfacing work recently, does anyone know if it is rideable on a road bike to the top? Guess there's only one way to find out...

It boggles my mind that people do an 80 mile round trip from London to ride up Box Hill in Surrey, whereas this hill is 5 miles from my house!
Yes, very rideable for a bit anyway. It does break into numerous walking routes after the big hoose.

Slick

Guru

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...droid-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

snorri

Legendary Member
Interesting item on BBC Radio Scotland this morning on the topic of new 20mph limits in Glasgow.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000dgx2 starting at 1: 51:50
There was a discussion regarding the benefits by a councillor and in order to placate the loony brigade their resident petrolhead Alan Douglas, a motoring journalist, was on air to give the opposing view. He claimed that after Bath & Somerset introduced 20s Plenty, there was a worsening in their KSI figures.
I found this intriguing and researched a little further to find that what Mr Douglas said was true, but very, very, misleading:sad:.
Here's a link.. http://www.20splenty.org/what_happenned_in_bath_did_deaths_increase

If you don't have time to read it all, here is the vital info from the 20s plenty website...........
"However we now have that information in detail .
Let’s be perfectly clear. Having obtained the full details of the KSIs for the period covered we can confirm that there were only 3 crashes which resulted in fatalaties.
1 fatality on a 30mph road 14 months before being set at 20mph. A driver lost control
1 fatality on a 30mph road 32 months before being set to 20mph. A motorcyclist mounted a pavement and hit a wall.
4 fatalities on a 20mph road in one incident 14 months after being set at 20mph when a runaway truck hit pedestrians and cars when its brakes failed on a hill.

So we now know that :-

There were no fatalities on 20mph roads in the 12 months after being changed from 30mph
There was one crash after 14 months which caused 4 fatalities. However this was totally unrelated to the speed limit.
Hence there is absolutely no grounds for suggesting that "20mph limits may be causing more deaths"

We also know, if we didn't already, that Mr A Douglas, motoring journalist is a naughty boy, be aware!

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
@snorri ime, I'm afraid the 20ph limit in Glasgow is mostly not adhered to.
Not in the suburb where I live, not in the centre either.
There's simply no enforcement.
The main point of my post was to highlight the devious tricks adopted by AD. He is regularly invited to BBC Scotland to put the pro-motorist viewpoint on air and attempt to obstruct any moves which might limit the freedoms of the motoring lobby regardless of other road users.
I agree enforcement is a problem, it's also a problem constantly having to be aware of the limit on the roads we drive on, but if the 20mph limit becomes the norm rather than the patchwork that exists, we could hope for improved adherence to the law. It has been proven that just a small decrease in average speeds can reduce the number of crashes, so any reduction in average speed of motor vehicles is a good thing.

Fubar

Guru
:hello: I'm back... sort of. I have a question for glorious mod @Pat "5mph" or anyone else who can be bothered to answer - is there still a photography thread? Or a photography forum that people would recommend?? I came on here looking for/seeking advice relating to photography but don't want to be too generic... anyway let me know thoughts. Oh and hi to the family! ^_^

snorri

Legendary Member
Some confusion at Morrisons?
1580076420061.png

Top Bottom