Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Reading the notice, it appears to me that the whole project will take from Nov 20 to (approx) Jly 22.
My interpretation is that, a bit like one of the recent projects in Embra, shorter sections will be closed off for shorter intervals over the whole time-span; ie a 1 mile stretch could be closed off with diversions for 1 month, then they move on to the next section with different diversions and so on until approx July 22, when all is opened up again. Not necessarily always doing adjacent sections, as they may need to slot in with other road, path, canal, bridge etc work.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Hi folks:hello:
slower than the council they are..
some recent works been done on the my (now) local stretch of the F&C (Kirkintilloch and Bonnybridge, possibly beyond those points?)
IMG_1264.jpg

My jump-off point (just west before Bonnybridge)
and one of the major improvements
IMG_1263.jpeg

Start of the Banknock Straight section, no lifting bike through yon awkward thingies they had and all similar bits now a slow down and pedal through...

Edit to add.
Another piece of cycling infrastructure gone bad (so far)
HERE
Link goes to Daily Record website..

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
some recent works been done on the my (now) local stretch of the F&C (Kirkintilloch and Bonnybridge, possibly beyond those points?)
View attachment 559750
View attachment 559751
Start of the Banknock Straight section, no lifting bike through yon awkward thingies they had and all similar bits now a slow down and pedal through...

Edit to add.
HERE
I cycled past that this morning. :ohmy:

To be fair, it was dark.

pjd57

Veteran
View attachment 559750
View attachment 559751

Edit to add.
HERE
Think of all the small improvement projects they could fund if they put a sensible sized bridge in at Stockingfield junction and used the leftover cash sensibly.
£12:5 million , plus another £4 million on landscaping.
They've destroyed the landscape already , so now they're going to spend millions trying to fix it.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Think of all the small improvement projects they could fund if they put a sensible sized bridge in at Stockingfield junction and used the leftover cash sensibly.
£12:5 million , plus another £4 million on landscaping.
They've destroyed the landscape already , so now they're going to spend millions trying to fix it.
An ideal site for a bridge....
Less than half-mile from me, they have upgraded a rough path from near Denny High School along an old railway bed using aggregate and what I would say whin dust over an old existing rough track which wasn't perfect but was perfectly useable. It just stopped
BUT it is part of this..
HERE
Link to Falkirk Herald.. viewer discretion needed:laugh::laugh:
This looks well thought.

I think councils need to consult walking and cycling groups to see where the money could be better spent.
TBH councils don't have a fin clue, it took me over five years of asking for CycleToWork at Inverclod Council then some bright spark came up with the idea and it was only to apply to certain departments, obviously the one that I wor, wor. wor, worked for(sorry a hard word to say)wasn't one..
Good old Unison came to the rescue..
Bike still going strong...
that's jinxed now..

Anyone else watching the Big Scottish Book Club ? I’m very much enjoying this series. Damian Barr is a charming host and they’ve had some great mixes of authors. Richard Osman seemed to thoroughly enjoy the esteemed company of Prof Dame Sue Black and Val McDermid, and the trio of Kirsty Wark, Kate Mosse, and Graeme Macrae Burnet was a great combination too. I have to say though, that most of the poetry has gone straight over my head :wacko:

Slick

Guru
Hi everyone, just thought I would check in as it has been pretty quiet in here. Hopefully everyone is staying safe as the news just continues to get bleaker and bleaker and I got a phone call today from an elderly friend who has now tested positive along with his Mrs. Hogmanay is going to be a blast this time round. Not too sure what to make of it but it's been a long time since I just sat in the house for the bells and the whole zoom thing does nothing for me. Has anyone come up with any socially distanced plans or are we all stuck in the house as I feared?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hi everyone, just thought I would check in as it has been pretty quiet in here. Hopefully everyone is staying safe as the news just continues to get bleaker and bleaker and I got a phone call today from an elderly friend who has now tested positive along with his Mrs. Hogmanay is going to be a blast this time round. Not too sure what to make of it but it's been a long time since I just sat in the house for the bells and the whole zoom thing does nothing for me. Has anyone come up with any socially distanced plans or are we all stuck in the house as I feared?
Facebook post locally from someone suggesting people come out onto the streets, socially distanced and have a sing song, bit of music from the locals in the pipe band, etc. Might be ok if it’s well controlled.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Facebook post locally from someone suggesting people come out onto the streets, socially distanced and have a sing song, bit of music from the locals in the pipe band, etc. Might be ok if it’s well controlled.
We did similar in the village for Christmas Eve carols. Turnout was OK but could, or rather should, have been a whole lot better.

Slick

Guru
Could be good if a bit chilly. Got to be better than sitting in the house but it's almost certainly going to fall foul of some restriction. :sad:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's been many years since I did anything on new year's eve, apart from triggering the cyclist counter on Glasgow green at the stroke of midnight :laugh:
This year I'm not able to cycle (injury), it's icy out anyway, plus I've got two newly adopted fur babies that need reassured from eventual fireworks.
I have avoided the corona in 2020, not getting it in 2021 either!

Slick

Guru
It's been many years since I did anything on new year's eve, apart from triggering the cyclist counter on Glasgow green at the stroke of midnight :laugh:
This year I'm not able to cycle (injury), it's icy out anyway, plus I've got two newly adopted fur babies that need reassured from eventual fireworks.
I have avoided the corona in 2020, not getting it in 2021 either!
Take care Pat, some good news this morning re the vaccine so hopefully that signals the beginning of the end of the restrictions.

As an aside, maybe I'll go to the green this year and be the first to trip it. :tongue:

iandg

Legendary Member

I'm still here. Been quiet on forums generally since summer, and slowly becoming quieter on all social media. Despite all the covid business I've improved mentally and physically over the year after the difficult times of a few years back. I've started doing voluntary food deliveries 2 mornings a week with Food Train and achieved biggest annual cycling mileage since 2015. However, the cottage renovation has been slower than expected due to lockdown, furlough, difficulty in obtaining supplies, etc., but everything's progressing and hopefully not much longer until it's ready to move into :smile:

Oh yes, I'll probably be in bed by 10 and then be awake at midnight trying to calm the dogs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom