Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Swung past the famous @Pat "5mph" bike counter yesterday afternoon whilst out doing some errands. Considering how warm it was, I was surprised to discover that there had been fewer than 350 that day.
Holiday weekend, no commuters apart from the antisocial shift workers like me.
On top of that, the smart cyclist on a sunny, busy with pedestrians day, bypasses the Green by crossing the blue bridge at the distillery.

bruce1530

Guru
Thinking of a day trip up loch lomond way. If I do it, it’ll be “spur of the moment” thing, not really pre-planned.

I know that Scotrail say the trains from Oban/FtWilliam/Mallaig are “reservation only” for bikes, unlike down here in the central belt where reservations aren’t needed.

In practice, if I was to rock up at Arrochar/Tarbet, Ardlui or Crianlarich without pre-booking mid afternoon, what would be the chances of getting a bike on a train to Glasgow?

Thinking of a day trip up loch lomond way. If I do it, it’ll be “spur of the moment” thing, not really pre-planned.

I know that Scotrail say the trains from Oban/FtWilliam/Mallaig are “reservation only” for bikes, unlike down here in the central belt where reservations aren’t needed.

In practice, if I was to rock up at Arrochar/Tarbet, Ardlui or Crianlarich without pre-booking mid afternoon, what would be the chances of getting a bike on a train to Glasgow?
I've gotten on those trains five times without a reservation (Garelochhead, Oban, Fort William, Arrochar and Bridge of Orchy) and never been turned away, but that's no guarantee - without reservations they're first come first served and it's down to how petty the guard is feeling that day if there's a bigger group upstream.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you can get yourself to Balloch, that line to Glasgow is very bike friendly, they take you even if the train is packet, the staff are nice ime.

bruce1530

Guru
Aye, Balloch’s easy for trains!

That had been my original plan - starting here in darkest Ayrshire, heading up the NCN7 to Johnstone, then towards Erskine. Over the bridge, and on to Balloch, then train back to Glasgow and home. But I thought it might be worth pushing on to the top of loch lomond....

Aye, Balloch’s easy for trains!

That had been my original plan - starting here in darkest Ayrshire, heading up the NCN7 to Johnstone, then towards Erskine. Over the bridge, and on to Balloch, then train back to Glasgow and home. But I thought it might be worth pushing on to the top of loch lomond....
The A82 along the loch is a bad place to be on a bike. If you want to go further north you're far better off heading west out of Dumbarton, through Helensburgh and up Loch Long or following the A82 cycle path to Arden and then up Glen Fruin.

bruce1530

Guru
Is there not a cycle route from Balloch to Arrochar?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Is there not a cycle route from Balloch to Arrochar?
There is one which runs north from Balloch to Tarbet,
if coming up the banks of the River Leven, come under the bridge and at Sweeney Cruises ticket hut, head through the car park and make your way along the path (north)until you reach the road near Lomond Shores, head left and it is signposted..
West Lomond Cycle Path (if I remember correctly), uses the old road in parts and through Duck Bay layby, if heading north, just before (?) Luss is a bad blind spot, take care.
After Tarbet? (watch out for traffic police around the bend as you head to Arrochar, advice for any car drivers amongst us),
last time I was there, I just used the road (with care)as it is a short journey from Tarbet Hotel to Arrochar.
I'm sure someone will be along with further advice).
Edwardoka advice about heading up the A82 is worth listening to...

I can recommend the Arden option then through the old Glen Fruin Road, cycle down to Helensburgh or perhaps up over the Coulport road, down the west of Roseneath Peninsula to Kilcreggan, ferry from Kilcreggan to Gourock, choo-choo home from Gourock..
(at top the rise out of Glen Fruin, look for tarmac track over to the Haul Rd then downhill to roundabout above Garelochead), any more info, just ask..
The Arden route FYI
Erskine Bridge to Balloch via the Leven, Lomond Cycle Path to the Arden roundabout, then to above Glen Fruin, over the MOD road to Coulport then Kilcreggan (ignore after Gourock)
ardenm.jpg

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Has anyone seen any sign of the undercover cops out and about?
No, I have not seen any cyclists at all at all:sad:.
I have written to Cycling Scotland expressing doubts about this campaign and pointing out that Police Scotland are not interested in close pass reports unless backed up by video evidence. I don't know of any other crime reports that are ignored if not backed up by video, and wait a response.
John Beattie of BBC radio Scotland has been coming in for flak for Twittering nonsense in a follow up to this campaign:sad: .

Top Bottom