Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
You should have headed down to my work which almost backs on to the airport. Lots of spotters and photographers on the roughest crumbling mixed use path in Scotland. :dry:
I had a nosey down the road at the normal spotting layby, I'm assuming the path around the river into Renfrew ?..
It can be fun after a windy blow ..
I use it if I do the 'One Ferry' route..:ohmy:

Slick

Guru
I had a nosey down the road at the normal spotting layby, I'm assuming the path around the river into Renfrew ?..
It can be fun after a windy blow ..
I use it if I do the 'One Ferry' route..:ohmy:
I like the one ferry thing. :laugh:

I was referring to the path on the other side of the runway if you were heading to Erskine. I sometimes use it but it's a disgrace until you get to the haven that is Paisley Moss then through the airport following their cycle path through Love Street, coming out at Gilmour Street Station.

I can't say that I've ever encountered any obviously malicious driving in Paisley, just lots of crap driving, particularly on the road out towards Ferguslie/Elderslie. Taking the A726/M8 roundabout (St. James' Interchange? IDK, I don't drive) and then riding the looping road along the west fence of the airport can be quite a hairy stretch too. That's the way I usually go if I'm heading up over the Erskine Bridge but if there's a decent alternative I'd not be averse to being given more details about it. :smile:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I like the one ferry thing. :laugh:

I was referring to the path on the other side of the runway if you were heading to Erskine. I sometimes use it but it's a disgrace until you get to the haven that is Paisley Moss then through the airport following their cycle path through Love Street, coming out at Gilmour Street Station.
Did that one the other week..
The cycle path is all new and sparkly, I just wander through the airport then take back streets out towards St James but back streets again until the new park then through Feegie with an occasional run through the old parts.
The best way out to Erskine?
I've only travelled t'other way..

Through the airport and along Abbotsinch Rd towards lights at the Cart Swing Bridge, turn left towards Inchinnan, right at traffic lights and carry straight through and up the hill (ssh, buses only at top) then at junction right turn and downhill, follow road to bridge, my bikes a hybrid so I cut down on the walkway at Erskine then up through Boden Boo..or old ferry rd.

Slick

Guru
I can't say that I've ever encountered any obviously malicious driving in Paisley, just lots of crap driving, particularly on the road out towards Ferguslie/Elderslie. Taking the A726/M8 roundabout (St. James' Interchange? IDK, I don't drive) and then riding the looping road along the west fence of the airport can be quite a hairy stretch too. That's the way I usually go if I'm heading up over the Erskine Bridge but if there's a decent alternative I'd not be averse to being given more details about it. :smile:
It is St James interchange and your a lot braver than I am as I cycle quite a bit out the way to avoid that particular nugget even though I do see a few souls brave it.
If you were coming from the city end you could come off the cycle route that takes you to Hawkhead road and head for Arkleston that takes you over the M8 and into Renfrew then cut through there down to Inchinnan road. That's my normal commute route which is usually quiet enough in the morning's but you still need your wits about you coming home at night.

Slick

Guru
Did that one the other week..
The cycle path is all new and sparkly, I just wander through the airport then take back streets out towards St James but back streets again until the new park then through Feegie with an occasional run through the old parts.
The best way out to Erskine?
I've only travelled t'other way..

Through the airport and along Abbotsinch Rd towards lights at the Cart Swing Bridge, turn left towards Inchinnan, right at traffic lights and carry straight through and up the hill (ssh, buses only at top) then at junction right turn and downhill, follow road to bridge, my bikes a hybrid so I cut down on the walkway at Erskine then up through Boden Boo..or old ferry rd.
I use the opposite side.
https://www.glasgowairport.com/media/2142/cycle-route.png
I'm still not using St James's. :eek:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I use the opposite side.
https://www.glasgowairport.com/media/2142/cycle-route.png
I'm still not using St James's. :eek:
I'm not a fan of the A726 road with me being a slow, wide load...
where you enter the airport, I'd just head on..
six and half a doz..
I have come down the A726 and crossed the interchange...
aye, scary and that was 8am on a Saturday morning..

Slick

Guru
Lots of cyclists out enjoying the sunshine this morning making me most envious as I drove down to help a friend out at their work. I did wince once or twice when I seen a few on the dual between the Erskine bridge and Balloch. I know they have every right to be there, I just wouldn't do it and wouldn't recommend it. On the way home this afternoon, the horrible sight of blue flashing lights at the side of the road just before the entrance to the quarry at Dumbuck caught my eye. Sure enough, a downed cyclist holding is leg in apparent agony whilst the police were trying to get a statement from him. The large lady hanging over him was obviously the driver that struck him. Looked serious enough without being life threatening, hopefully the guy is okay.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Only in Scotland.jpg

Spotted in sunny Linwood.....
love it !!

pjd57

Veteran
Got to agree with @Slick about Erskine Bridge to Balloch.
I know we can cycle on the main A82 but why would you ?
I don't hide from traffic. I cycle in Glasgow almost every day, but there has to be occasions when you opt for the quieter route.

Looking forward to the Carlisle to Edinburgh night run, and my mate has just confirmed a date for another run round Arran....anti-clockwise this time.

Have ridden the dualled section of the A82 westbound a few times - honestly not sure why as the cycle path from Bowling is orders of magnitude more pleasant.

Doing so eastbound would require a deathwish. I didn't know which junction to turn off at during my JoGLE and I had ridden the A82 all the way from Spean Bridge, and I didn't expect it to suddenly turn into a motorway in all but name. Riding between Milton and Bowling uphill in torrential rain with cars whizzing past was absolutely terrifying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom