Ironman step up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bradders123

Hi,

So, going for my first Tri this weekend and really looking forward to it. If all goes well (fingers crossed), I will take a step towards doing the Ironman 2013.

A few questions:

How big a step up is it?
Would you buy a TT bike or a road bike and add aero's (Bolton Course)
What is considered a good time for a 24 year old male

and most importantly...

What is the best way of fitting in training around a 8.30 - 6 Job? I can do big sessions on the weekend but will hours speed sessions help in the week?

Thanks in advance

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi,

So, going for my first Tri this weekend and really looking forward to it. If all goes well (fingers crossed), I will take a step towards doing the Ironman 2013.

A few questions:

How big a step up is it?

and most importantly...

What is the best way of fitting in training around a 8.30 - 6 Job? I can do big sessions on the weekend but will hours speed sessions help in the week?

Thanks in advance

I don't do tri, but my cycling/running experience (in relation to the bolded sections) would say:

Road bike.

You might need to double dip.

fimm

Veteran
How long is the race you are doing at the weekend? What's your background in the individual sports/other sports? How's your swimming?)

I did my first (sprint) tri in 2007 and completed Ironman Austria in 2011. The big difference for me is that over the shorter distances you go at a far higher intensity than you do over Ironman. I was going to ride a road bike with clip-ons but then got a TT bike second hand because someone I knew was selling one (or most of one) "cheap". WRT training - for about 6 months my life was mostly work, eat, sleep and train. You will want/need to include sessions during the week! Can you commute to work by bike (if you don't already)? I (inspired and advised by my boyfriend, who has done 4 ironmans and lots of shorter races) always took one day as a complete rest day each week and I think this is a good strategy (though others may disagree).

Hope that helps... feel free to ask more questions.

OP
OP
B

Bradders123

Hi,

Doing an Olympic Tri on Sat...I just want to get around for the 1st one but confident of sub 2,45 with any luck. I have played rugby all my life and have done a few 10k's and halfs.

I will train in the week but is an hour a day in the week enough as long as I do big brick sessions on the weekend?

I think the commute is about 35 miles and dont presently commute but I would incorporate it a couple times a week for training.

My swimming is ok but have accepted I will need to get a coach to make my stroke more efficient!

fimm

Veteran
An hour a day? Yes. I don't think you need to do that much every day. There are training plans out there - I'm not sure about online, but there are books I can suggest.
I'd also suggest getting involved with the TriTalk triathlon forums as there are a lot of experienced people on there.

VamP

Banned
Yep, Tri Talk will see you right. Just don't get involved in the sub 10 hour Ironman thread. Those guys are mentalists.

gb901

Hi,

A few questions:

How big a step up is it?

and most importantly...

Thanks in advance
just finished 2nd tri season (2 olympics and a sprint) and very much considering doing a middle distance event in 2013 with an ironman in 2014

FYI, IMUK 2013 entry is still open, form HERE, but it does get booked up quickly, in fact I'm surprised you can still get in now TBH.

I was going to do it with 2 mates of mine, they've booked it but I can't get the £375.00 together sadly :sad:

Making a decision either way would help. The Outlaw's sold out, not sure how long for IMUK, IM Wales may open next week but it's a tough one (channel 4 are showing highlights on Sunday morning). There's plenty of Ironman distance races around although there seems to be a trend to make harder and harder ones.

As for training I think it's possible but I've never done a race that long so can't really comment. You can't do a long training session every time. Tritalk is your best bet as well as online resources. The "Ironfit" book is pretty popular and covers time limited athletes.

You could always step up to half distance to test the water. It gives you an idea of how the extra training will fit in with your life personally without making a huge time and financial commitment.

There's plenty of Ironman distance races around although there seems to be a trend to make harder and harder ones
Bolton IM is not an easy course TBH. The swim is probably par for the course, but the bike section is a physical route.

I ride it regularly, (not full distance :wacko: ). It's a 14 mile point to point ride followed by 3 x 32.6 miles laps. I do one lap quite often.

The run is also quite challenging, (by IM standards), with a nasty hill to do 3 times, and quite an undulating 3 lap section.

fimm

Veteran
Off the top of my head, other "conventional" iron distance races in the UK are The Big Woody, Forestman, and Challenge Henley (the last one is likely to be more expensive).
Of the less conventional races, Enduroman run a single iron distance but their emphasis is on multiple-iron-distance races (yes these do exist...) and there's Celtman, which has a "run" over two Munros...
I'm too lazy to locate websites for all these, anyone who is interested can google (and look on Tritalk, there's a big thread each year for the Enduroman races, for example).

OP
OP
B

Bradders123

Well I got through it! posted a time of 2.46 which isnt to bad and I had a bit left in the tank..

I think the plan is to hit a sub 2.30 Oly then try and step up to half IM next year.

I felt quite good on the bike but the run was always going to be my weak part.

are there any amatuer TT races around where you can put yourself against other in say a 40 k trial?

Thanks

fimm

Veteran
Time trials tend to be in miles, so look for 25 mile TTs. Not quite 40km, but as good as you're going to get IMHO.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well I got through it! posted a time of 2.46 which isnt to bad and I had a bit left in the tank..

I think the plan is to hit a sub 2.30 Oly then try and step up to half IM next year.

are there any amatuer TT races around where you can put yourself against other in say a 40 k trial?

Thanks

TT season is over. Look for things starting up again around May 2013.

Arsen Gere

Über Member

Thanks

If you want to get quicker don't back off completely over the winter.
I keep the swimming going and push the distance up a bit because it's warmer inside than out and by the time you hit the racing season the longer distance swims dont hold you back.
I do some park runs to keep my run fitness up and then some longer runs . But there are cross-country runs, 10k's , half marathons too.
Turbo sessions are good to get reference for your bike fitness and to build some strength then add some long bike rides, ride like your granny on the long runs and plow in to your turbo sessions. Trying to go hard outside on a bike in winter is hard work and you never achieve summer times so tt's get dropped. There are usually social ones around chrismas/new year but not the regular club ones.

Top Bottom