Irresponsible Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Anybody remember the advice given in 'Richards Bicycle Book' ? about dogs .... in it he wrote, something like (from memory) 'when attacked by a dog, dismount, remove pump from bike and hold up with both hands, most dogs will jump up to bite this, then deliver a swift kick to the dogs(' nuts')....belly, underside,( I forget this bit.......this is from the 1970s and my copy got lost somewhere in the 1980s,) I thought this was odd advice at the time, although the book was considered a good book....:smile:

Does the tactic work with CO2 caplets?

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Maybe I could have dismounted...unattached my pump from the frame mounting...screwed in the hose thingy to the end...sucked up water from a neaby puddle and squirted it at the dog...like a mini water cannon....

(whilst not commenting on the dogs looks - that would be offensive...apparantly)

Jody

Stubborn git
[QUOTE 5159974, member: 259"]Alsatians are big, strong dogs and they can do someone a serious injury.[/QUOTE]

I had a friend who literally had a chunk taken out the back of his leg by such a dog. Cost him a month in hospital and more than one skin graft. There are good reasons why police use this type of dog.

I own an Alsation, and if he ran after a cyclist snarling, I wouldn't be surprised or angry about someone trying to defend themselves with reasonable force. I'd be more angry at the dog. Probably would have kicked it myself on behalf of the cyclist (kidding!).

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have had the good fortune of being bitten by many breeds of dogs mainly due to cycling home from school in lands further away than these and being amongst communities with very different attitudes to canines than our western ideologies.

My favourite collection of bites were received when I crashed on some dusty single track (ok footpath) outside a sprawl of a colonial mansion. Two dobermans got out and had me for lunch. A passer by scared the dogs off and I lived to tell the tale right here on Cycle Chat.

My second favourite incedent was when I fell off a farm fence I was climbing at 6 o’ clock in the morning. I won’t tell you why. Sadly I fell into the wrong property and got attacked by two guard dogs (yellow labs) they tore most of my clothes off.

Lovely stories hey?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Why are people conflating the OP's reasonable and justified self-defence against a dog attack with cyclists' responsibility to cycle safely round pedestrians (and dogs) on shared use paths?

The OP was not guilty of cycling selfishly round pedestrians (or dogs) so why is that being raised?

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Just to add...I love Alsatians, they are on a par as my favourite dog along with sausage dogs.... but you have to remember they are dogs bred hundreds of years ago to protect livestock from wolves and other predators and sometimes regardless of how well natured they are their instinct kicks in... like my instinct to kick the dog in this instance...i made a split second decision that I wasnt able to outrun this dog up a hill and it was only a matter of seconds before it sank its teeth in..so i defended myself with the minimum force I felt was necessary....my anger that I felt was for the owner..not the dog....the owner was stupid/naive/irresponsible to think it would just stand there and ignore me cycling past

Jody

Stubborn git
Not really relevant, but I used to know someone who had an alsatian that was scared of wet grass. He'd sit in the back of their estate car looking fearfully out. "I can't go out there. That grass is wet"

We are on about dogs biting and the OP is specifically on about Alsatians. I would say it has some relevance. They will make more of a mess than a yorkie or a pug.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

A yorkie or a pug wouldnt have hurt me to the extent this dog would have but it could have got caught up in my wheels and caused itself some damage....

note my thread is called irresponsible dog owners..not All dog owners...

Top Bottom