Irresponsible Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I believe self-defence is still legal in this country and that's what the OP was doing. It doesn't matter if it is a dog or anything else. I fell off my bike a while back because of a dog running loose . I gave the owner a piece of my mind then for not having it on lease. I , too, love animals, but they should be controlled in public places.

U

User32269

I don't love dogs. I have no problem with people who feel the need to have them, so long as they act responsibly.
I take my son up the Liverpool Loop Line cycleway often, sharing it with many people who cannot, or will not, control their dogs. My son, who rides slowly and courteously on shared paths, has been reduced to crying with terror twice as a result of encounters with dogs.
I view large dogs as dangerous weapons. They are capable of killing or maiming my young lad or myself. Failure to be in control of something, in a public space, that has that capacity to cause injury or death should be punished as if that person had discharged a firearm imo.
The vast majority of dog owners are decent people who love their pets and act responsibly, unfortunately the minority of morons with dogs cause the problems.
Do I think the OP was wrong to kick a large dog trying to take a chunk out of him? No! In all honesty I would have been reaching for my D lock. Given the damage these animals can inflict, you have every right to protect yourself.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I don't love dogs. I have no problem with people who feel the need to have them, so long as they act responsibly.
I take my son up the Liverpool Loop Line cycleway often, sharing it with many people who cannot, or will not, control their dogs. My son, who rides slowly and courteously on shared paths, has been reduced to crying with terror twice as a result of encounters with dogs.
I view large dogs as dangerous weapons. They are capable of killing or maiming my young lad or myself. Failure to be in control of something, in a public space, that has that capacity to cause injury or death should be punished as if that person had discharged a firearm imo.
The vast majority of dog owners are decent people who love their pets and act responsibly, unfortunately the minority of morons with dogs cause the problems.
Do I think the OP was wrong to kick a large dog trying to take a chunk out of him? No! In all honesty I would have been reaching for my D lock. Given the damage these animals can inflict, you have every right to protect yourself.

A reasonable, fair and balanced point of view. IMHO. ;)

crazyjoe101

If I'm cycling somewhere where there are dogs off the lead I keep my speed down and I make sure I go past way below 10mph in case one runs into my path and I've not run one over yet, if the owner holds or calls their dog aside it's a bonus but I'm still going to go past slow. I've never been attacked by a dog on or off a bike but if I was I'd rather kick the dog than get a chunk taken out of me.

We used to have a German Shepherd that I took with me when I went MTBing locally, he was very gentle around people but doubtless he used to give some people a fright when my Mum walked him because if he saw a cyclist he would be convinced it was me from a distance and shoot off straight at them like a rocket and then suddenly stop dead a few feet away and wonder off again when he realised.

You can't even go sledding without a snarling beast chasing you downhill.

5469.jpg

I once while riding on a bike path was accosted by a fur ball ankle biter. It ran out of its yard to attack me. With its owner watching I un-clipped my right foot and lazily swung a kick of self defense. Unfortunately I caught it a bit harder then I intended. The dog flipped in the air and went running back to mum. The dear lady expressed her contempt at my awful behavior I let her know that if shes keeps her dog on a leash she will never have to worry about it happening again

AndyCh

Über Member
Owners should always be aware of what their dogs are up to and watch for cyclists on a shared path and try to make sure they don't get in the way. I say try to, because my dog is generally ok and will keep out the way if I call her, but, i) she is very stupid, and ii) if she sees a squirrel or such like, she will be off after it and won't always come back if called. This is my responsibility I know, but being open about it, i can't guarantee she is always fully under control.

This makes me a bit cautious when cycling around dogs, as they are unpredictable, and suggest everyone is the same. Add to that, a mate of mine had a coming together with a dog on his bike (he didn't even see it coming for him as it came from side/behind) and the dogs front leg went into his spokes and was sliced clean off. He came catapulting off his bike and you can imagine the hullabaloo after that little scrape. Everyone was pretty shaken, including peg legged fido.

Point of my post is, be a bit careful on your bikes, and if you are a dog owner, do whatever you can to keep your dog away from bikes, for the sake of all concerned.

PS. I would have also kicked the attacking dog, and wouldn't mind if someone did the same to my mutt if it was being a pest/dangerous.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was walking my dog in the woods a couple of days ago and had let him off the lead for a run around. It was quiet and there was no one else around. However, I then noticed in the distance a group of cyclists approaching (it's a dead straight path so I saw them from quite a long way off), so I called him back to put his lead on him but unfortunately he spotted them before I got the chance and ran off towards them.

Fortunately, they slowed right down and were very friendly towards him, even when he started barking at them. I managed to grab him and put his lead back on him, apologised profusely to the cyclists and then we all went on our way. I felt bad about having inconvenienced them like that, and appreciate that I was strictly in the wrong for letting my dog out of control, but I was very grateful that the cyclists were so good-natured about it. Had they responded by not slowing down and/or kicking him, it might have exacerbated the situation and made it more likely that he would have bitten one of them. OK, so they had to slow down for a few moments but as far as I can tell, the experience didn't spoil their ride or significantly inconvenience them.

And so the sum of human happiness was increased by a small but significant amount.

Top Bottom