1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irresponsible Dog Owners!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by hoppym27, 22 Feb 2018.

1. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Veteran

Massachusetts, USA
    Oh dear, this is one of those subjects best avoided: pets, religion, politics and your kids. Of course I'd rather not kick a dog (never have) but if under threat and I had no option, yes I would. Of course "no option" sometimes isn't clear, but if a dog is snarling and looks like it's going to bite and the owner's making no attempt to restrain it, that would be good enough for me. For full disclosure, I'm not exactly a dog lover, but do like them. My family has had dogs before.

Interestingly about a year ago I was attacked by a dog, mtbing. I tried to put the bike between me and the dog and it ran around and got a good bite of my calf. It happened so quickly I couldn't defend myself, but had it tried it again, I would have definitely kicked the bloody thing I'll guarantee that. At least the owner gave me details and paid for my medical expenses. And I definitely did report it to the police, giving all the owner's details. Why? Because earlier in the ride I'd gone by a 10-12 year old girl. I'd want it documented every time a dog attacks so at least there's a record that can help decide if a dog has previous history should be put down. As I said, I like dogs, but as far as I'm concerned if a dog bites without good cause it should be goner. Next time it might not be an overweight balding middle aged cyclist.

And what did the owner say? "he just doesn't like cyclists". Fortunately he was apologetic after that comment because I wasn't impressed to say the least as he was walking a dog that doesn't like cyclists off leash in an area frequented by mtbers..... Anyway, sad to see some of the dog lover's responses here, seems like dogs (any dogs) are far more important than people who are unlucky enough to encounter uncontrolled aggressive dogs.
    Julia9054 likes this.