Irresponsible Dog Owners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grievesy

I wasn't going that fast. I'm generally not a fast cyclist (my average commute speed is 12mph) but I do remember that day I was taking my time and enjoying the cycle as the sun was scorchio and it was a zero wind day :smile: I just didn't have my hands covering the brakes which is why it took me so long to stop.

Kajjal

Guru
When passing dogs I just slow to a crawl whether mountain biking or road biking as you suggest, sometimes you can just be unlucky. To date I have not hit anyone or their dog but did once have to jump a snake that appeared on the trail in front of me.

Smudge

Veteran
My dog will totally obey three commands..... Here, stay and sit. But i only use them if i know a cyclist is coming up behind me.
So fecking let me know you're there in advance, instead of waiting until the last few seconds.

Randombiker9

Dogs are hazards so if you see a dog off lead slow down and then there’s no hazzle as you could go around it
Dogs are dogs they have no road sense like most animals
If you to hit a dog whilst cycling you would be viewed a Fault
Like if a car hits a dog

Randombiker9

When passing dogs I just slow to a crawl whether mountain biking or road biking as you suggest, sometimes you can just be unlucky. To date I have not hit anyone or their dog but did once have to jump a snake that appeared on the trail in front of me.
Lol I agree. I go through shared paths by local rivers sometimes as the ducks don’t move out the way lol you just have to slow down and then they do move out the way.

Remember guys animals have no road sense

Jody

Stubborn git
If you to hit a dog whilst cycling you would be viewed a Fault. Like if a car hits a dog

You aren't at fault for hitting a dog whilst driving. Although it must be reported if you do so. If I collide with a dog whilst on a shared use path and the animal isn't on a lead, then it isn't under control and I have a potential of suing the pets owner. It's a slightly grey area but you're not automatically at fault.

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/medi...-accidents-involving-animals-what-is-the-law/

Reactions: C R
You aren't at fault for hitting a dog whilst driving. Although it must be reported if you do so. If I collide with a dog whilst on a shared use path and the animal isn't on a lead, then it isn't under control and I have a potential of suing the pets owner. It's a slightly grey area but you're not automatically at fault.

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/medi...-accidents-involving-animals-what-is-the-law/
Well if you read that link it's by no means cut and dry. You mention under control but there is no such definition, close control, dangerously out of control, yes, everything else is going to be a bit grey and it's incumbent on all of us, cyclists, dog owners, dog owners who are also cyclists, to act sensibly.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
School run this morning and my daughter was chased by a malamute/husky type dog. Completely ignored owner’s recall. I put my bike between the dog and my daughter. Resorted to picking the bike up and slamming it against the dog. It wasn’t interested in me. Just fixated on my daughter.

The owner apologised and I made it clear it was unacceptable. What more can we do?

Owners who have dogs like this should have them on a lead.

Smudge

Veteran
School run this morning and my daughter was chased by a malamute/husky type dog. Completely ignored owner’s recall. I put my bike between the dog and my daughter. Resorted to picking the bike up and slamming it against the dog. It wasn’t interested in me. Just fixated on my daughter.

The owner apologised and I made it clear it was unacceptable. What more can we do?

Owners who have dogs like this should have them on a lead.

I would have reported the owner to the police.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I would have reported the owner to the police.

Marginal in this case. It was boisterous and rough. Not aggressive.

Had police on the case for an incident in the winter which was very dangerous and my daughter was hurt. A lot of hard upsetting work and as far as I know nothing came of it.

The police aren’t a force anymore with all the cuts.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Even your own dogs can cause problems. I saw a guy come a cropper 2 days ago when I was doing my usual trail walk by the river. He and his wife/partner were on mtb's and their labrador running alongside when it suddenly crossed in front of him. Not sure if he hit it or just braked so violently, but he did a nice somersault over the bars and looked a bit sore.

Jody

Stubborn git
Well if you read that link it's by no means cut and dry. You mention under control but there is no such definition, close control, dangerously out of control, yes, everything else is going to be a bit grey and it's incumbent on all of us, cyclists, dog owners, dog owners who are also cyclists, to act sensibly.

My point was more that the cyclist or car driver isn't "at fault" by default. I've never hit an animal or want to but it should be on a lead if you are on a shared path. If it's on a short lead then you are almost certainly at fault. If it isn't then the grey area arises.

My point was more that the cyclist or car driver isn't "at fault" by default. I've never hit an animal or want to but it should be on a lead if you are on a shared path. If it's on a short lead then you are almost certainly at fault. If it isn't then the grey area arises.
Personally I think it depends on the path. You probably have something in mind which is different to what I have in mind , which is often how these threads end up going around in circles. The path I use has a code of conduct, the advice for dog users is to be able to control your dog and if not put it on a lead. The advice for cyclists is to use a bell and not use the path at speed and to give way to other users. Of course there's an interpretation to that code, what is under control, what is at speed but for the most part, it's sensibly adhered to because it's common sense anyway, no one really wants any conflict.

Jody

Stubborn git
Personally I think it depends on the path. You probably have something in mind which is different to what I have in mind , which is often how these threads end up going around in circles.

I see your point. I'm on about local bridleways, the Trans Penine Trail and some of the shared footpath/cycleways etc.

Top Bottom