Irresponsible Scout Leaders blocking cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm opening a beer. Anyone else want one?

Shaun

Founder
Sounds like they've been a bit inconsiderate. Did they have the name of the troop written on the side any of the vans?

As an aside, I was a keen scout for many years (before being thrown out for not drinking my beer quick enough!) and was awarded the Chief Scout's Award. I was on my way towards the Queen's Scout Award and a visit to Windsor Castle, but after landing my first job bought me and a mate a beer each, which we nipped round the back of school to drink during a break in the Gang Show practice. He swigged his quick as a flash. I was too slow and got caught red handed and kicked out. :sad:

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
My memories of the scouts includes doing lots of daft stuff up hills, in water and playing with fires, axes and saws.

Part of the fun was doing stuff that felt a bit dangerous even though they were were pretty well supervised by adults who knew what they were doing.

I suspect that that the adults in charge tonight knew exactly what they were doing - let's face it launch boats from a field is much more Scoutish than doing it from a boring mooring.

Phoning the police was way over the top.

I'm Ok with them having fun. There was lots of space for them to park on the black asphalt thing with the bright yellow lines on it. Even better, they could have found somewhere to launch a raft that didn't involve trying to get it over a fence.
cm3.jpg

That would have saved a bit of effort. Inconvenient that fence, maybe a gap would make raft launching a bit simpler?. Darned inconsiderate, putting a fence in!. What about fun?.
Also, not only is the bank steeper than years ago, you have to navigate the culvert they put in:
CM2.jpg

Still there's plenty of fun for the kids. You can amaze them with tales of ye olde derelict post sorting office. But watch out scrambling up those banks. Funny folk who stick sharp needles into themselves lurk under the trees. Hopefully, this won't happen:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/04/girl-4-has-to-have-hiv-test-after-standing-on-dirty-needle-6616591/

For the record, I mentioned it to a friend who is a police officer and his answer was that if he'd been down there, he would have moved them on. There are better places to introduce kids to water related activities.

broadway

Veteran
My memories of the scouts includes doing lots of daft stuff up hills, in water and playing with fires, axes and saws.

Part of the fun was doing stuff that felt a bit dangerous even though they were were pretty well supervised by adults who knew what they were doing.

I suspect that that the adults in charge tonight knew exactly what they were doing - let's face it launch boats from a field is much more Scoutish than doing it from a boring mooring.

Phoning the police was way over the top.

Er, a miinute googlling told me it's the middle of Bristol, do keep up.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
If the cycle lane is out of order any chance of using the road?

I know,stupid idea.Sorry about that.:hello:

Any chance of them parking on the road?. I know, daft idea. Who'd have thought that minibuses and cars should be on a road?.
Plenty of space. What am I missing as to why they didn't do that?. I mean, it's a relatively mild inconvenience to walk an additional...oooh...5m to the fence? (that anti raft device the council put in)
Could anyone suggest why the road was inappropriate?. Can't quite put my finger on it.....
CM4.jpg

Meanwhile, here's this morning's silly parking. Obvious place to reverse fork lift trucks down a ramp...
I suppose all those cyclists could just swerve around him....
fork lift.jpg

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh great ! They are Scouts, you trying to stop some proper fun ? Climbing, etc all have risks.

Yes they shouldn't block the cycle path, but its hardly a big inconvenience. The leaders should at least be warning people approaching and making sure there is a way through. I'd be happy to see something like that going on.
I'll have to remember that the next time the police turn out with blue lights and sirens for vehicles blocking a carriageway, that it's hardly a big inconvenience and motorists should just use another road. :rolleyes:

I don't care who the criminal motorist is. Report it to the police. And with the worrying behaviour of launching a makeshift raft of teenagers from a dodgy location into iffy water, it was definitely worth a call. Let the police decide how to prioritise it. If you spotted it but didn't call and someone got hurt, you'd be flamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom