Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
About two years or so ago I obtained some 8 kilos of Lucozade sports drink powder and began to use it on my rides. I have to admit it was good and certainly helped me along the road About 18 months ago I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel. Things got quite bad and the only way I could go for a decent ride or walk was to dose up on Immodium. The IBS medicine helped but I still liked to know where the toilets were. During the past few weeks I haven't been too sharp and haven't been exercising or riding very much so I haven't been using the Lucozade. The IBS is dramatically improved. I haven't had to take any medication for a couple of weeks now and haven't been taken short when out. I am putting 2 and 2 together, and although it is too soon to be confident, I wonder if the Lucozade is causing, or at least making worse, the IBS. I am also aware that IBS can come and then clear up, and can then come back again in a natural cycle. I don't think there is much point going back to the doctor so I am going to leave off the Lucozade for another couple of months and just see what happens.

One of the anomalies of IBS / Crohns and their ilk is that there are some foodstuffs that can cause diarrhoea episodes. They will only be found by trial and error

B164D

I'm no expert and have no medical qualifications but would suspect the amount of sugar present in Lucozade could contribute to some of your symptoms.

One of the anomalies of IBS / Crohns and their ilk is that there are some foodstuffs that can cause diarrhoea episodes. They will only be found by trial and error
even though what he said is true that foods can trigger a flare of the symptoms and it is trail and error to find what works for you, but please don't confuse IBS with IBD (crohns or ulcerative colitis) as they are seperate conditions.

locozade could be trigger for the IBS try stop taking it and see if it improves, also one of the main triggers for IBS is stress.

the main thing is to start slow and increase slowly also listen to your body. hope you feel better soon.

PS as a sufferer of Ulcerative colitis it is really hard to keep restarting from scratch with cycling.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Go with what ever you thinks work for you. I keep guessing about what works for me, but sometimes I feel I can eat something this week and not next week...
I'm going through a bad bout at the moment and I feel its more stress this time more than food related..hmmfff :-/
Its a horrible problem, that can sometimes be alleviated by a long ride or hindered...
Good luck :-)

even though what he said is true that foods can trigger a flare of the symptoms and it is trail and error to find what works for you, but please don't confuse IBS with IBD (crohns or ulcerative colitis) as they are seperate conditions.

locozade could be trigger for the IBS try stop taking it and see if it improves, also one of the main triggers for IBS is stress.

the main thing is to start slow and increase slowly also listen to your body. hope you feel better soon.

PS as a sufferer of Ulcerative colitis it is really hard to keep restarting from scratch with cycling.

The reason that I used the terms "IBS / Crohns and their ilk" is that although they are separate diseases, they have some features in common.

Frequency, urgency and triggering by some food stuffs are common ground.

DRHysted

Guru
If leaving out the lucozade works for you then I'd say go for it.
I have a problem with fresh fruit and most veg. So haveing an unhealthy diet (working it off on the bike) has caused me the most comfort.
I'm also cursed with lactose intolerance, which is a bummer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My cycling buddy is a gastroenterologist and he tells me that as they age, some people become less and less able to process certain foods such as carbohydrates and some sugars such as lactose.

Must ask him why, since I got diarrhoea briefly in Africa two weeks ago, I've been doubled up with stomach cramps and farting like a horse for a couple of hours after eating carbs and apples.

As a former sufferer of Crohns I had to be careful what I ate. I used to find cucumber would double me up in agony within a couple of hours. The rule is, there is no rule. Stick with what works for you. If that happens to be abstaining from Lucozade then congratulations on finding one of the causes for you. Many people aren't that lucky.

Berties

Fast and careful!
i was in my mid twenties i suffered from ulcerative colitis lasted about 2 years ,i had to watch my hydration more,i was doing long endurance runs and never stopped me,i also took more vitamins as i was not able to obtain them from food,due to the lining of my colon being so inflamed,i took to a un refined diet and it all went as soon as it came ,but when it came i would pass mucus and couldn't stop,not nice but touch wood I've seen the last of it

Hont

Guru
Stress is a major trigger of IBS but diet can help considerably.

I had IBS a long time ago and found that the single best thing for me was increasing dietary fibre. There are plenty of ways to increase the fibre in your diet but it is surprising how much the body really needs so you can supplement with something like Fibogel (which is just a natural fibre drink) until your body settles down into a more regular state. I think if you are getting enough fibre then your body can cope with other IBS triggers like coffee, or a sports drink (does it have caffeine in it?) much better.

Rouge79

IBS is a major PITA.

Ive been a chronic sufferer for over 15 years and even though i can control it, it only take a little change in my routine etc to bugger me up again.

I can't even eat anything thoughout the day without it flaring up so have to starve from breakfast until i get home and then can only eat a very little amount.

Eating while on the bike is a LAST resort. I have to rely on energy drink and gels.

albion

Guru
I imagine much of it is down to gut bacteria.
The trend of experimenting with stool transplants going on shows that the cultures in our stomach take time to develop.

And obviously, on the whole it is an unbalanced diets that cause the problems.
Without the mix of a good varied diet, you simply lose bacterial balance.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Have you tried Aloe Vera. I started drinking the stuff (2fl oz a day and its not sold on its taste) in 1996 to help with my eczema. It really has helped and I still drink it to this day, same brand too. One of the 'side effects' if you like, was my IBS was vastly improved and is now a distant memory. When I was chatting with my GP, back then, he said that there was a double blind study with Aloe Going on with Dr Peter Atherton. He also did a much lauded study into the effects of Aloe on Ulcerative Colitis.
Might that be worth a try? Takes 4 - 6 weeks to see proper results, its not an 'instant cure' that everyone seems to want these days.

Top Bottom