Is 105 compatible with XT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have decided to convert my flat bar hybrid to one with drops. I have a set 105 10 speed shifters, are these compatible with the XT rear mech that is fitted? A little research has unearthed a few bits of info, mainly saying that I need a 9 speed xt mech to use with 10 speed ultegra/105/dura ace, but would rather it was confirmed before I start stripping everything off the bike.
Also will the shifters work ok with V brakes?

simon.r

Person
Can't help with the mech question, but if your 105 shifters are combined with the brake levers, they will not work properly with V brakes. A brake lever designed to work with V brakes will pull more cable than one designed to work with calliper brakes.

Jmenorton

I use this setup on my cx/touring bike only with discs, 10speed 105 shifters will work with 9 speed derailleurs, works a treat shifting seems just as smooth if not smoother than the 105 mech i removed.

MisterStan

Label Required
Starting to think it may be easier to just buy a road bike.
I've just converted my Claud Butler Levante to drops from flat bars - i went from 8 speed to 10 speed, so i had to change the whole drive chain including BB (had some new Tiagra cranks to go on) both front and rear mechs, chain and cassette. It was a bit of a ball ache, but to be honest the bike is so much nicer to ride now i can't believe it. There are some really good deals on various components in the classifieds here. I just did a quick check online - 105 rear mech for £35 on chain reaction cycles... i don't know what you have in the budget but that's not too bad me thinks, you could also use a mix of 105/Tiagra if you wanted to save some £££.

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
I have a set of ultegra dual pivot brakes, but I dont think the drop on them is big enough to use them, but has been suggested above, I can use other caliper systems. I think I will buy the bits I need and go from there.

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
In the end I bought a Specialized allez sport for the road. I have converted it to 10 speed, upgraded the wheels, chainset, shifters and rear derailleur on it. I am now thinking I could get a set of drop bars and fit them to the cube and start converting it with the road stuff I have taken off the Specialized.
I have read somewhere that the pull is wrong on the road brake levers for use with mountain bike stuff, but if I made a set of brakes with a different pivot I think I can overcome that problem. A bit of research has given me the me the arm length required so I will draw a set up and get them on to my machine over xmas.

Top Bottom