Is 2 x 10 miles a day enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How much more does a kilo of muscle weigh compared with a kilo of fat?
Wrong question - 1 kg always equals 1 kg!

Really, you want to know how dense muscle is compared to fat and the figures I found were:

Muscle - about 1.06 kg per litre.

Fat - about 0.9 kg per litre.

I.e muscle is about 18% denser than fat.

screenman

Legendary Member
No right question, just looking for a response other than that which can be easily Googled.

By wheeling out the old muscle weight myth we are giving people false hope, a person riding a bike regularly like the OP and following a reasonable diet of negative calories will lose weight faster than he will build this muscle.

Nebulous

Guru
It depends what you want to do. I've spent just over a year losing weight and have been really pleased with my ability to sustain the effort and keep it going slowly and steadily. I did it by running a modest calorie deficit, and lost a pound a week for over a year. I'm now at a point where I don't really want to lose any more, but I still want to improve my fitness. Part of that would be altering my muscle to fat ratio or reducing my %age of body fat.

Norm

No right question, just looking for a response other than that which can be easily Googled.
If you actually read the question, rather than what you think the question says, you'll see why it's the wrong question. ;)

A kilo of anything, whether muscle, fat, lead or feathers, always weighs a kilo. :thumbsup:

Wednesday

I don't know if you meant to be sarcastic. If you did, "how much more does a kilo of x weigh compared with a kilo of y" may be an appropriate question. Otherwise it's not, because it's not a question that can be answered with any information other than "1kg=1kg".

I think you could be seeing stuff that isn't really intended when someone mentions that muscle weighs more than fat. I don't see it (in this thread anyway) as anything to do with false hope, just a reminder that if you want to drop fat through exercise you shouldn't obsess over your weight.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I'm 5ft9.

I'm not struggling with it though my legs are a little tired at the end of the day.

I am the same height as you and went from 16 stone to 12 stone in a year doing similar mileage to you. That was aboutt 2.5 years ago , I have put back on about 10 lbs but claim that is the extra muscle :biggrin:

You need to have a sensible diet as well and see how it goes. I lost 3 or 4 lbs some weeks but this tapered to less than 1 lb a week as I got lioghter.

Eat sensible ride your bike weigh once a week and see how it goes. Good Luck.

screenman

Legendary Member
It was a sarcastic question.

Banjo, I like your smile, it really makes the point well.

Nebulous, perfect way to lose weight well done, also in that time your muscle would have been developing not as quick I would say as your fat was disappearing.

I asked some what I thought were good questions after my sarcastic line, how come nobody has replied to them?

Wednesday

I asked some what I thought were good questions after my sarcastic line, how come nobody has replied to them?
One of your other questions was answered two posts after you asked. I guess you got too upset by "wrong question" and stopped paying attention, but right after that Colin answered the question "how much more?", which he thought is what you were also sincerely trying to get at with your sarcastic line at the end.

Muscle - about 1.06 kg per litre.

Fat - about 0.9 kg per litre.

I.e muscle is about 18% denser than fat.
I didn't pay much attention to the more technical questions because I don't know much about training, but I know a bit about biology and looking back at them it seems pretty clear that the reason you can't find answers on google is because there's no way to even give a ballpark estimate to what you're asking about.

how many calories would you burn building a kilo of muscle? how many miles would you have to ride to build a kilo of muscle.
It depends on the individual's body, how they're training, what stage they're at in their training, what they're eating, and probably some other stuff too.

The muscle weight thing isn't a myth. Muscle weighs more, by volume, than fat. I guess what you mean when you say "myth" and "false hope" is this:

so your weight may go up even if your body tone improves.
In the sense that it could encourage someone to not bother controlling their calorie intake and hope the fat comes off anyway? If so, is the following acceptable to you? If you exercise without dieting you'll get fitter, build muscle, and may or may not lose fat. If you diet at the same time you will lose fat, and faster.

I still think it's a good idea to mention that weight isn't a reliable indicator of how fit you are or even how fat you are, though, because society is all messed up about it and people can lose sight of everything except the number on the scales. For good, maintainable fitness you need to consider more than that.

VamP

Banned
I'm now at a point where I don't really want to lose any more, but I still want to improve my fitness.

Good point, and what we should all aspire to I guess.

A question to the forum: How do people measure their level of fitness? A gut feel based on riding times, or is anyone doing anything more scientific - e.g. heart rates, VO2Max, lactate levels etc.?

Just don't be in a rush!! It'll happen.

I'm 5ft 6ins and was just under 13 stone. Have been cycling for about 8 months and although my body shape had changed I'd not lost any weight. Then starting about 5-6 weeks ago it starts to drop off me at about 1-2lbs per week. Now easily under 12.5 stone and still dropping. Aiming for a target of around the 11-11.5 stone mark. Having said all that - I don't care what my weight is as long as I'm not carrying any obvious fat!! If I look slim and still weigh 12 stone then that's fine!!

ColinJ

A question to the forum: How do people measure their level of fitness? A gut feel based on riding times, or is anyone doing anything more scientific - e.g. heart rates, VO2Max, lactate levels etc.?
Gut feeling for me.

I don't need to get scientific because it is blatantly obvious that I am not very fit. I am about 20 kgs (3 st 2 lbs) above the weight I'd like to be and I'm struggling to keep up on my forum rides. I want to get back to the fitness I used to have and to be able to lead my rides from the front!

PS I always thought your avatar photo was of some exotic brown insect crawling up a tree but I just had a closer look and realised that it is a tanned man climbing a rock face! Is that you? ;)

Alun

Guru
Not losing weight and hoping that it's due to fat having been replaced by an equal weight of muscle is a false hope in MOST cases, I'm afraid to say!

More of this :bicycle: and less of this :cheers: and this :hungry: .

screenman

Legendary Member
Alun, you managed to put the point far better than I did.

Why are so many nurses in my local hospital fat, you would have thought seeing the damage it does to people would make them stay within a reasonable fat content.

ColinJ

Why are so many nurses in my local hospital fat, you would have thought seeing the damage it does to people would make them stay within a reasonable fat content.
Probably the same reason that so many doctors and nurses still smoke, drink too much and take drugs - they are human and are stressed out by modern life in general and their jobs in particular. It is their way of coping.

I drink too much, don't get enough exercise and I'm overweight even though I'm well aware that it's bad for me!

Top Bottom