Is 2 x 10 miles a day enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Whilst I agree that some people cannot help being overweight, I feel that the majority of fatties, lardies, big people etc. call them what you want for I was one and speak from experience lack self control.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wish when I was fat more people had told me so, I would then have kicked myself harder to do something about it. Pussy footing about and being nice does not in my opinion help very much being over weight carries many health issue's that need addressing urgently. People are coming on here saying they are fat, or over weight, much the same thing I would imagine.
Well let me just say that I found that having to dash over to the hospital and spend 12 hours a day at my dying mother's bedside rather distracted me from my task of becoming a super-fit middle-aged athlete so I didn't ride my bike at all last winter. I also comforted myself by eating too much and I got very pissed every night so I could snatch some sleep before going back for another traumatic bedside vigil. And so, yes, I got even fatter ...

My mum eventually died so you could say that I had then lost my excuse for over-eating/drinking, but there was that pesky glut of dead bodies caused by the severe winter so I'm going to play the 'We couldn't have the funeral for a month' card to excuse my gluttony throughout January but, hey - at least I didn't actually enjoy it!

I started doing my forum rides again on January 30 even though it was cold and wet and windy and I was depressed and didn't really feel like it. I did 57 miles on that, my first ride in 10 weeks. It hurt. It hurt a lot.

Since then I have dragged my lardy arse over nearly every big hill in the area and then I went up to 50 miles away looking for more. Many people on the forum were nice enough to accompany me even though my lack of cycling prowess has become a bit of an in-joke. Every hill hurts, but I still keep doing them.

And you know what ... I'm still drinking too much because I'm still haunted by what I had to watch happen in December. One day, I'll get a grip but it hasn't happened yet. I know the facts. I know the risks. I'm human. Give us a break! :wacko:

J-HO

Check www.fatcyclerider.co.uk. This guy should be an inspiration to anyone wanting to lose weight.

I commute 14 miles a day, only started doing it regulary this year, didnt have much weight to lose but I feel fitter and healthier.

Stick with it, it doesnt take long until it gets easier.

screenman

Legendary Member
Coincident you may call it, you may not even believe me but Saturday I will be making the trip from Lincoln to Fleet to say goodbye to my 98 year old Mum who is fast slipping away, so yes I know some of what you went through and would not wish it on anyone.

You sir are doing something about it, you will succeed and get a return on your hard work. The majority of fat people in the UK will not do anything about it.

I appreciate everybodies view on this subject and like an the ex-smoker I am I tend to be the worse nag. Bit like I managed to give up the filthy stinking habit how come everybody else cannot do the same.

I feel fantastic after losing the fat, I just want to spread the word I want all the fatties in the world to realise that life is far better without the lard, or at least some of it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Coincident you may call it, you may not even believe me but tomorrow I will be making the trip from Lincoln to Fleet to say goodbye to my 98 year old Mum who is fast slipping away, so yes I know exactly what you went through and would not wish it on anyone.
I'm so sorry to hear that - I hope she goes peacefully.

I know it isn't much comfort, but she's had a good long life. My mum got to 86 and I told her that she'd managed to reach the life expectancy of Japanese women, the longest-living people on the planet. She was quite chuffed when I pointed that out. Your mum has had 12 more years than that, but it still seems too soon doesn't it?

Best wishes to you and your family.

You sir are doing something about it, you will succeed and get a return on your hard work. The majority of fat people in the UK will not do anything about it.
I'm sure that people would have said that about our Gaz, gb155, and for many years, it would have been true, but just see what he has now achieved - down from nearly 40 stone to 13-and-a-bit!

I appreciate everybodies view on this subject and like an the ex-smoker I am I tend to be the worse nag. Bit like I managed to give up the filthy stinking habit how come everybody else cannot do the same.
Well, of course, I'm an ex-smoker too and I tend to have strong views on that subject, but every person has to decide for themselves to stop. Or lose weight.

I feel fantastic after losing the fat, I just want to spread the word I want all the fatties in the world to realise that life is far better without the lard, or at least some of it.
I'm well aware of what it feels like. I'm a medium built man, 6' 1" tall and my adult weight has varied between a very underweight 10 st 10 lbs and an obese 16 st 5 lbs. I remember what my cycling felt like when I was a sensible weight. Yes, it was great, and I will get there again one day, provided that I haven't died trying!

The way to get people to do it though is to 'lead from the front', or if like me you aren't fit enough to do that, then at least 'lead from the back'! ;)

I'm sure that potsy and Steve H won't mind me mentioning that they have been struggling with their weight too. They have come out on lots of my forum rides and suffered alongside me and are getting slimmer and fitter, month by month. It's very gratifying to have played a small part in it, though obviously most of it comes from the cycling they do without me.

I don't think that calling people names or putting them down helps though. Gentle encouragement is the way to go!

So, fellow overweight people ... just a reminder that you'll feel a lot better, and live longer, healthier lives if you tackle the weight issue. It is possible, and it is worth having a go.

And now, believe it or not, I'm going to go downstairs, crack open a few cans and relax watching today's Tour de France coverage.
Cheers! :cheers:

screenman

Legendary Member
All extremely good points and taken on board, also many thanks for your concern.

The good thing about anyone coming to this forum who is overweight is that they know it, unlike those who deny it. On TV this morning they were talking about more people in the UK who are hitting 60 stone. My wife a who is a chiropodist gets customers often complaining of pain in legs and feet, these people are often very heavy, but they did not recognise this would or could cause problems.

Some people need gently gently, whilst other need a tougher stance in my opinion.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
All extremely good points and taken on board, also many thanks for your concern.

The good thing about anyone coming to this forum who is overweight is that they know it, unlike those who deny it. On TV this morning they were talking about more people in the UK who are hitting 60 stone. My wife a who is a chiropodist gets customers often complaining of pain in legs and feet, these people are often very heavy, but they did not recognise this would or could cause problems.

Some people need gently gently, whilst other need a tougher stance in my opinion.

Sadly some people are so shallow they cant see beyond the fat. Plenty of fat people make a far greater contribution to society than I ever will. Each to his own.

VamP

Banned
Loco, I would call you about 4.

Harsh IMO.

That mileage with that amount of climbing at that average speed indicates good level of fitness for age, between 6 and 8. Call it 7 to split the difference.

Little extra fat and smoking actually have surprisingly little impact on actual fitness levels.

I am a stone up against my best climbing weight, and smoke, yet position in top ten times in sportives, and my lab scores indicate I am in top 1% of overall population for fitness (VO2max/lactate), regardless of age.

Personally I would give myself an 8, because I don't compare myself to the population as a whole but other sporty people, and compared to say TdF riders I am more like a 2.

It's all relative.

VamP

Banned
Sadly some people are so shallow they cant see beyond the fat. Plenty of fat people make a far greater contribution to society than I ever will. Each to his own.

Totally agree!

Being fit is just one possible of a multitude of different equally valid ways of living one's life.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thanks Vamp, it was the relative and perception I was driving at.

As an example someone 15 years my junior about the same height and a lot lighter than me, doesn't smoke visited my work and I had to show him some stuff up stairs at the top of the stairs he could just about hold a conversation and was heavy breathing, I wasn't and yet put our stats down on a piece of paper and show them around 99.9% of the population would say it was me heavy breathing at the top.

Out of interest you have mentioned a few times VO2Max lactate etc, where and why did you have these tests?

VamP

Banned
Out of interest you have mentioned a few times VO2Max lactate etc, where and why did you have these tests?

I took part in St Mary's University College study into effects of nitrate supplements on cycling performance, mainly because I was interested in getting tested, but also because I was somewhat curious as to the actual study aims.

I have only been serious about cycling for about three months, and wanted to get a benchmark, so I could see in years ahead how my cycling fitness was progressing, and what were the weakness areas to focus on.

I actually found the whole process really interesting, as well as helpful in thinking about training in general, and for cycling in particular.

Apperently you can get these tests on a commercial basis as well, but I haven't looked into the specifics.

lulubel

Über Member
The good thing about anyone coming to this forum who is overweight is that they know it, unlike those who deny it.

Knowing doesn't always translate to doing something about it, or even knowing what to do about it. A lot of people who are overweight do want to lose weight but the diet industry gives out so many conflicting messages that they just don't have a clue how to lose the weight. Others do know what to do, but aren't prepared to make the necessary changes to their lifestyle.

I'm a member of a site that encourages weight loss through calorie counting and exercise - "eat less, move more" is the mantra. I mentioned in a forum post over there that I cycle 1-1.5 hours 5 days a week, and this is one of the key things for me to lose weight. One member - currently obese according to her BMI, who has lost and re-gained the same stone several times since she's been using the site, and complains it "doesn't work" for her - told me to, "Stop wearing yourself out with all that exercise. It isn't doing you any good."

Of course, there are still others, like Colin, who reach a point in their lives where health and fitness takes a back seat to other things and I totally understand that - I've been there - but I think the people who don't know how to change or aren't willing to put in the effort to change, sadly, far outnumber them.

Stu669

2x ten miles a day is more than fine if your diet is good i started this year at 16st7lb now im 13st so it does work if you stick to it but dont deprive yourself of treats say a friday night take away otherwise we as a human race tend to slip into bad ways and binge alot more. never crash diet its not worth it! eat healthy and be active is the best way, if anyone on here has an iphone or summet download myfitness pal or go to myfitnesspal.co.uk and put in your daily food in a diary and it really helps.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom