Is 5 a day good science?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Innuit
cuisine (fish mainly) with no vegetables
that's right no heart disease; we still have a lot to learn, this is why I don't like food fad's

And probably quite a fatty diet too, as I recall. A high protein and fat diet.

That normally cues someone to say 'yeh but, when did an Inuit last win the TdF' as if that's proof positive that it's a crap diet!

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

And probably quite a fatty diet too, as I recall. A high protein and fat diet.

That normally cues someone to say 'yeh but, when did an Inuit last win the TdF' as if that's proof positive that it's a crap diet!

Hi yello got cycle flue; so not functioning at my best.

Good point But the Mogols too have the same type of diet, and they conquered the world.

Just kidding!!!!

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

Its having a fatty liver that seems to prevent insulin production.
Maybe next time the scientists can study whether any bonks burn it off.

Hi albion I'm not having a scientist on my bike
whistling.gif

And on CC I think most people have the thinnest, leanest, fittest, livers of all.
It's insulin resistance, which is the bogey

now watching the tour Zoof

It's Mark again
cool.gif

Adasta

I've read that it's really somewhere more along the lines of: 5 portions of veg a day and 2 portions of fruit.

I imagine what was available to prehistoric man was something along those lines (i.e. lots of leafy plants; some fruit in the summer; meat as an when).

yello

I imagine what was available to prehistoric man was something along those lines (i.e. lots of leafy plants; some fruit in the summer; meat as an when).

Indeed it probably was.

A weak point in the paleo diet (and I'm not saying you're advocating it Adasta) is life expectancy and illness. The cave man was probably a bit of a sickly being, constantly with the sh*ts from some infection or other and didn't live much past 20 odd. Some of that was obviously due to factors other than diet, we don't tend to die of broken legs these days for instance, but you see the point.

The paleo diet does have a rose tinted image of our health back then (and I say that having an intuitive leaning towards it). There's no doubt in my mind that it's true to say that we evolved having a very much different diet to the diet we have today, but that doesn't mean that the diet of today is necessarily bad nor that we won't equally evolve alongside it. In a couple of million years, maybe the ideal diet will be coke and burgers!

Joking aside, I do think there is a lot to learn from considering our prehistoric diet.

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

Good morning CC
Chimpanzees are still in the wild, and can make a good dinner out of a coconut husk.
But if you gave them burgers, you would be a popular member of the group.
It would end up with them being Kings of the nursing home, and not of the jungle. biggrin.gif

Honest I’ve not got an axe to grind, I take the view that on CC I am amongst top athletes.
Who no a thing or two about nutrition.

It's just that I like to analyse the science behind a theory.
:eek:
So my Conclusions on the OP are
I
have looked for, but cant find out much about the science that underpins 5 a day.
And as the enlightened on CC have come up with the same result,
I concluded that it is almost none existent.

This is the rumour that I have heard about 5 a day.
It's down to a back-room civil-service cell, told by the Government
“to find out why them in the north-west are going about on sticks at 50;
and those on the south cost are still playing bowls and working at 70.
They concluded:
The two areas are not ethnically diverse.
The environment is very similar.
The difference then must be lifestyle.
Because in the south they eat more fruit & vegetables & exercise regular.

So the word went out to the heath minister, get the unhealthy buggers in the north
exercising & eating more fruit & veg.
This was manner from heaven for the food industry, with sweaty palms being rubbed.

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

for I am an advocate of the Chocolate Digestives diet.

If you play for Manu and you are under 20% fat they will leave you alone.
But if your game goes off; and you go above 20% they send in the dieticians to your home.
Now just sit back and imagine, if you were in that position what the wife would say!
angry.gif

Now if CC were to introduce such a scheme: and somebody immediately
springs to mind who wouldst like to run it.
It could be the stuff of your worst nightmare!!!!!!!

Having done my duty: this morning I put the toast in the microwave to melt the butter yum yum.
thumbsup.png

yello

As high as 20% fat! That's a relief! I'm around 21 to 22% and don't consider myself athletic in the slightest. In fact, I consider myself to be carrying way too much fat. Some of these pro-cyclists have single digit percentages.

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

As high as 20% fat! That's a relief! I'm around 21 to 22% and don't consider myself athletic in the slightest. In fact, I consider myself to be carrying way too much fat. Some of these pro-cyclists have single digit percentages.

Hi yello Footballs different it's athletic art, sometimes you need weight,
to move somebody politely of the ball. If your games good they just leave you alone!

Yes Brad was 6%, before he got home to the fridge: but I don’t consider him a cyclist, a top athlete yes.
And to that, you can add in Boardman too, they were/are just athletes, that happen to ride a bike.
What they lack is the will to win.

Now Mark, yes he is a real bike rider, perhaps it's because he's from the Isle of Man.
Shielded from the mainland's Health and Safety wimp culture.
biggrin.gif

PS I really miss Marco Pantani

Top Bottom