Is 50 ish Chain ring really needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Define 'need'! :okay:

I actually have lower top gears on my road bikes than most people - 52/14 on one bike and 48/13 on the other. I am normally ok with those ratios but occasionally spin out on long descents. (We have some 4-5 mile descents round here so 30+ mph is pretty commonplace.)

I would definitely be very undergeared for any kind of racing.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Your own average speed will drop if you only use a 39 chain ring going downhill you will spend a lot of time freewheeling not using the hill to full advantage.Even a 50 tooth is a bit small for fast descents.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Most bikes are over geared, IMO 50 tooth ring is too big, I can't push my 48x11 on the flat and would happily go lower. It's a fashion thing, pros have it so everyone else wants them.
The speed at which you go uphill has a much bigger effect on your average speed.

MisterStan

Label Required
Most bikes are over geared, IMO 50 tooth ring is too big, I can't push my 48x11 on the flat and would happily go lower. It's a fashion thing, pros have it so everyone else wants them.
The speed at which you go uphill has a much bigger effect on your average speed.
Whereas IMO 50 is too small, i've just gone from a compact to a standard double. Horses for courses and all that!

screenman

Legendary Member
You should have add

You should have added.
for you in there.

Venod

Eh up
[QUOTE 3725028, member: 9609"]And for non racing non pro cyclists, a 52 / 11 combination is just perfect for using with a good tail wind for gently powering the bike along at 15mph with a very slow cadence[/QUOTE]

40 rpm :ohmy: Does anybody pedal this slow on the flat with a tail wind ? if you do I would advise changing down a few gears & work on upping your cadence, this (IMO) will enable you to be more efficient & thus lead to your greater enjoyment of cycling, of course if you enjoy a slow cadence carry on.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It depends. For TTs I have 53/39. For touring and randonnées I have 46/36/26. Or there's the fixed which is either 43x17 or 43x18.

martint235

Dog on a bike
40 rpm :ohmy: Does anybody pedal this slow on the flat with a tail wind ? if you do I would advise changing down a few gears & work on upping your cadence, this (IMO) will enable you to be more efficient & thus lead to your greater enjoyment of cycling, of course if you enjoy a slow cadence carry on.
I wouldn't say it's 40 but my cadence is certainly lower than most people I cycle with. I find it gives me better acceleration if I need it as I just up my cadence rather than start pushing a harder gear straight away.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do I use my 50t ring? Yes. 50/11? Not a lot, but yes. So yes, I need it. Is it the absolute optimum for me? Probably not but life's a bit too short to be worrying about optimisation.

A 38x11 at 90rpm is good for 24mph so it depends on you and your terrain and who you ride with. I get by on a similar ratio most of the time but i have higher and lower gears too, which get used but then I've tailored my gears to my riding and my power output, I wouldn't expect it to suit others, that's why you have a pread of gearing you can alter for hills and wind and physical needs.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Top Bottom