Is a 30 min walk a short one?

• Yes

Votes: 54 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Blimey can’t imagine walking for that long

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
actually it was a euphonium, not a tuba... gave up after a couple of months :rolleyes:

Oh I went on to play in the local schools brass band. Used to play at town hall twice a year. Playing at bandstands rest of year.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
30 mins short? Yes if you're an estate agent :laugh:

E.g. A short walk to the train station.

As it happens that's how far it is from my house. Dunno what the estate agent claimed as I already knew where the station was.

Anyhow, I'd say half an hour was a mediumish walk if going for an errand (or the station) but a very short walk indeed if "going for a walk". Half hour walk is about the cut over point for wanting to cycle if merely going somewhere

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It depends on the context... 30 minutes is too far to go to the supermarket and walk back with bags of shopping. It's too far to nip to the Post Office... 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back on an errand is OK as it keeps the errand comfortably under an hour - for anything longer Id take the bike... an errand that would take longer than an hour to get there and back by bike or on foot then I'd consider taking the car which would be within range of it's 32 mile battery...

Now where was I?

However I'll happily walk for 15 to 20 miles if I've got time.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think it means different things to different people.

The world health organisation suggests an adult should do 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week. So that is just over 10 minutes a day.

Correct me if I’m wrong but there are 7 days in a week. So just over 10 mins a day would come out at just over 70 mins a week. The WHO bare “get off the sofa” minimum to hit 150 mins a week is 22 mins a day.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I've averaged 11400 steps a day since the Gov't advised one period of outdoor exercise a day following the lockdown in March 2020. Thats approx 5 and a half miles a day, which at 3 to 3.5 mph is between an hour and a half and two hours walking every day- good job I'm retired! That covers all walking actions throughout the day including stairs and cycling when my phone picks up about a quarter of the cycling distance I do as steps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom